1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apollo 1 command Module Pressure/Force

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What would have been the force on the hatch of the Apollo 1 command module (Before the fire) during the "plugs out test"

2. Relevant equations
    more info 14.8 PSI of pressure outside of the module and 17.5 PSI
    1 PSI= 6 894.75729 pascals. 14.8 x 6894.74=102 042.152 Pascals
    17.5 x 6894.74=120657.95 Pascals

so I'm kind of stuck here.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2
    You need to know the area of the hatch. I had a quick look round but couldn't find it anywhere.

If you wanted to make a rough guess you could assume perhaps 0.25 m^2 and go from there. You need to use the formula:

Pressure = Force * Area

4. Apr 7, 2008 #3
    so what would I do for the pressure though

5. Apr 8, 2008 #4
    You just need to caclculate the pressure difference between the inside and the outside.

It's just like if you wanted to calculate the next force acting on a body if it had 4N acting on it one way, and 10N acting on it the opposite way. The net force is 6N, in the direction of the biggest force.

This is just the same, but instead of forces you're dealing with pressures, which are the force over a unit area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?