1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of derivatives problem?

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A biologist determines experimentally that the number of calories burned by a salmon swimming a distance d in miles upstream against a current v0 in miles per hour is given by

Energy = kdv^5/v − v0

where v is the salmon’s swimming speed relative to the water it is in. This means that the salmon’s progress upstream is at the rate of v − v0 miles per hour, so that the distance d is covered in a time of

t=d/v − v0

If v0 = 2 mph and d = 20 miles, and the salmon, being smart, swims so as to minimize the calories burned, how many hours will it take to complete the journey?

2. Relevant equations

Requires derivatives

3. The attempt at a solution

I really just don't understand where to start. I subbed t into the equation and ended up with ktv^5/v-v0, took the derivative of that with respect to t and got 5kv^4 but I have no idea what I really don't know where to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean ##\frac{kdv^5} v - v_0##, which is what you wrote, or ##\frac{kdv^5}{v − v0}##?

Same problem here. Obviously you mean ##\frac d {v-v_0}##. Use parentheses!!
    Try finding the critial value of ##v## using the energy equation. Then use that to get the time of travel.

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3
    Yes! I meant (kdv^5)/(v−v0).

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4
    OK, so I'm guessing I don't plug t into the energy equation in the first place? because I did that and found the derivative to be 5ktv^4

6. Mar 5, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you guessing? Why not just try what I suggested?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted