Application of EM backward wave

In summary: backward wave refers to the wave whose propagation constant is negative, while forward wave refers to the wave whose propagation constant is positive.
alexyan
Hi, does anybody who knows the applications of backward type wave tell the detail of them? thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. Can you explain what you mean?

the application of electromagnetic backward waves. thank you!

Do you mean reflected EM waves?

alexyan said:
the application of electromagnetic backward waves. thank you!

alexyan,

I am beginning to see a pattern in your questions. As in your posting asking for "plasmonic resonance", you seem to make the assumption that by throwing out a phrase or two, the question is clear. It isn't!

You need to put your question in an appropriate CONTEXT! In other words, either give an exact reference where you read it from, or be as specific as possible on the area of physics that term is being used.

If not, a lot of effort and time are wasted in just trying to decipher exactly what you mean. If you wish others to spend some effort in providing you with a complete answer, you should consider spending at least some effort in presenting a clear and unambiguous question.

Zz.

thank you for your advice. I try to make clear questions.

I have studied some kind of guides wave struxtrues. I know backward wave can exist in some structures. also I understand the concept of backward wave. but I do not know how to use this property, so could somebody know it tell me the applications?

Alex,
I'm just guessing here, but would I be correct in assuming that English is not your first language? I think the confusion in this thread is the definition of the term "backward wave". This would appear to be some term that you are attempting to translate into English from some other language, but the translation you've come up with, "backward wave", is not a term with which our English-speaking members are familiar.

Could you describe exactly what a "backward wave" is? Do you mean a wave that has been reflected back towards its source? A wave pattern that is inverted from a previously existing wave? A negative energy wave? Also, could you please provide a link or reference to some source that talks about "backward waves"?

Last edited:
When analysing waveguides and the mode coupling of the waveguide, the existing wave in the structure is often decomposed into two components - a forward propagating wave and a backward propagating wave.

There is a family of devices that couple light from the forward propagating wave to the backward propagating wave calling gratings, so called because they posess a periodic refractive index profile. Becuase the backward coupling is dependant on resonances within the structure, the coupling is highly wavelength dependant, making these structures ideal for filtering in optical networks.

Bragg gratings are the most common type of optical filter. Bragg gratings can reflect a very narrow bandwidth at a given design wavelength, the reflected (backward propagating) wave can then be routed elsewhere. Bragg gratings are a vital component of all optical demultiplexers.

For info on the physics behind this, look up 'Coupled-Mode Theory' or 'Bragg Gratings'.

Claude.

About 1% of light from a diode laser leaks out behind the diode -
it is usually used in a feedback loop for thermal stabilization, etc
but can be used for continuous intensity calibration.

Alexyan,

Are you referring to negative indices of refraction, which I believe Claude suggests?

Claude,

That sounds like stimulated Brillouin scattering.

Tide said:
Claude,

That sounds like stimulated Brillouin scattering.

It is the mechanism behind SBS, yes. For media where the refractive index is a function of the Intensity of the optical field, a suitably intense laser beam will form a temporary grating in the sense that it will vanish once the laser beam is removed.

Bragg gratings are permanent and are typically fabricated by exposing a piece of optic fibre with a photosensitive core to a UV laser. The required modulation is acheived by passing the laser beam through a slit and using the diffraction pattern, or by splitting the beam and creating an interference pattern

Claude.

does only grating structure contain the backward wave?

Light will couple from the forward traveling wave to the backward traveling wave only in the presence of the grating, but ONLY for particular wavelengths.

Claude.

I do not sure what we do talk about same thing. the backward wave has negative group velocity compare to the phase velocity.

When I refer to the backward propagating wave, I mean the component of the wave whose propagation constant is negative.

Claude.

do we talk the same concept of "backward wave"? from my understanding, backward wave is that its phase velocity has a opposite sign of its group velocity which represents the power flux direction. here your explanation seems only talk about two forward waves traveling in opposite direaction.

It would seem in that case that we are talking about different things. Sorry about the mix up!

Claude.

What is "Application of EM backward wave"?

The application of EM backward wave refers to the use of electromagnetic waves that travel in the direction opposite to the direction of propagation. This phenomenon is known as backward wave propagation and has various applications in fields such as microwave engineering, plasma physics, and radar technology.

What are the benefits of using EM backward wave?

EM backward wave has several advantages over conventional forward wave propagation, including better control over the direction of energy flow, reduced signal distortion, and increased efficiency in certain applications.

What are some examples of applications of EM backward wave?

Some common applications of EM backward wave include traveling wave tubes, backward wave oscillators, and backward wave amplifiers in microwave technology. It is also used in plasma heating and particle acceleration in plasma physics.

How does EM backward wave differ from conventional electromagnetic wave propagation?

Conventional electromagnetic wave propagation involves waves that travel in the same direction as the direction of propagation. In contrast, EM backward wave travels in the opposite direction, which can lead to unique characteristics and applications.

What are the challenges in implementing EM backward wave in practical applications?

Some challenges in implementing EM backward wave include the need for precise control over the direction and amplitude of the wave, as well as the potential for interference with other electromagnetic signals. Additionally, the design and construction of devices using EM backward wave can be complex and require specialized knowledge in the field.