Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of perfectly matched layer transformation to second order derivative

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    Hello

I am going to post here a problem that I've been working on for quite some time, and I haven't managed to obtain a good answer.

To approximate free-field conditions in the numerical solution of wave equation PDEs, the following coordinate transformation is often applied to implement a Perfectly Matched Layer (PML):

[tex]
    \[
    \frac{\partial }{{\partial x}} \to \frac{1}{{1 + \frac{{i\sigma (x)}}{\omega }}}\frac{\partial }{{\partial x}}
    \]
    [/tex]

There is further information given in this application note:

http://www-math.mit.edu/~stevenj/18.369/pml.pdf" [Broken]

Normally this coordinate-stretching is applied to [tex]\partial /\partial x[/tex]

But is it possible to apply the coordinate-stretching in the following fashion?

[tex]
    \[
    \frac{{\partial ^2 }}{{\partial x^2 }} \to \frac{1}{u}\frac{{\partial ^2 }}{{\partial x^2 }}
    \]
    [/tex]

That is, the coordinate stretching is applied without recourse to this:

[tex]
    \[
    \frac{{\partial ^2 }}{{\partial x^2 }} \to \frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial }{{\partial x}}\left( {\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial }{{\partial x}}} \right)
    \]
    [/tex]

where

[tex]
    \[
    s = 1 + \frac{{i\sigma (x)}}{\omega }
    \]
    [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted