Devise two damping mechanisms for these coupled pendulums

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of damping the oscillation of a spring, especially when trying to allow for out of phase movement. The use of a Lagrangean equation is mentioned as a potential solution, but it does not take into account friction or damping.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Devise two damping mechanism.
Relevant Equations
All below
1594404260101.png
1594404303938.png
]

I am not sure how i could begin, someone can help me?

In the first mode we have a spring not stretched, while in the second, is not only stretched but the balls are outing of phase by 180 ° too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Damping the oscillation of the spring is pretty easy, no?
Allowing free out of phase movement, but damping in-phase is trickier. Maybe start with a mechanism that would only permit out of phase motion, then see how to relax that to a merely frictional constraint.

Lagrangean
[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}m_a \dot{\psi_a}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_b \dot{\psi_b}^2 - \frac{1}{2}k(\psi_a-\psi_b)^2[/tex]
would determine the motion but it does not show friction or damping.

anuttarasammyak said:
Lagrangean
[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}m_a \dot{\psi_a}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_b \dot{\psi_b}^2 - \frac{1}{2}k(\psi_a-\psi_b)^2[/tex]
would determine the motion but it does not show friction or damping.
Lovely, but of no help at all in answering this question.

1. How do coupled pendulums work?

Coupled pendulums work by connecting two or more pendulums together with a rigid rod or string. When one pendulum is set in motion, it transfers energy to the other pendulums through the connecting rod, causing them to swing in a synchronized motion.

2. What is damping in the context of pendulums?

Damping in the context of pendulums refers to the process of reducing the amplitude and frequency of the pendulum's oscillations over time. It is important for maintaining stability and preventing the pendulums from swinging too wildly.

3. What are the benefits of using damping mechanisms in coupled pendulums?

The use of damping mechanisms in coupled pendulums can help to reduce the amplitude of the pendulum's swing, making it easier to observe and analyze the motion. It also helps to stabilize the pendulums and prevent them from swinging out of control.

4. What are some common damping mechanisms used in coupled pendulums?

Some common damping mechanisms used in coupled pendulums include air resistance, viscous damping, and eddy current damping. Air resistance involves placing a fan or airfoil near the pendulums to create resistance and slow down their motion. Viscous damping uses a fluid-filled container to create resistance and dissipate energy. Eddy current damping uses magnets and conductive materials to create a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the pendulums.

5. How can I devise my own damping mechanisms for coupled pendulums?

To devise your own damping mechanisms for coupled pendulums, you can experiment with different materials, shapes, and sizes to create resistance or friction. You can also adjust the length and weight of the pendulums to affect their motion. It may require some trial and error to find the most effective damping mechanism for your specific setup.