Applications of Differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses a vehicle tunnel company wanting to raise tunnel fees and the predictions that the number of vehicles passing through the tunnel will decrease initially but ultimately approach an average number. The company is advised to advertise on the day when the rate of increase of vehicles passing through the tunnel is greatest, which can be found by setting N''(t) to 0.
chrisyuen

Homework Statement

A vehicle tunnel company wants to raise the tunnel fees. An expert predicts that after the increase in the tunnel fees, the number of vehicles passing through the tunnel each day will drop drastically in the first week and on the t-th day after the first week, the number N(t) (in thousands) of vehicles passing through the tunnel can be modeled by N(t) = 40 / (1+be^(-rt)) (t>=0) where b and r are positive constants.

(a) Suppose that by the end of the first week after the increase in the tunnel fees, the number of vehicles passing through the tunnel each day drops to 16 thousand and by the end of the second week, the number increases to 17.4 thousand, find b and r correct to 2 decimal places.

(b) Show that N(t) is increasing.

(c) As time passes, N(t) will approach the average number Na of vehicles passing through the tunnel each day before the increase in the tunnel fees. Find Na.

(d) The expert suggests that the company should start to advertise on the day when the rate of increase of the number of cars passing through the tunnel per day is the greatest. Using the values of b and r obtained in (a),

(i) find N''(t), and
(ii) hence determine when the company should start to advertise.

((d)(ii) 20th day)

Homework Equations

Differentiation Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve the part (d)(ii) of the question.

I think I should set the N''(t) = 0 in order to get the t.

But can anyone tell me why should I set N''(t) = 0?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
chrisyuen said:

Homework Statement

A vehicle tunnel company wants to raise the tunnel fees. An expert predicts that after the increase in the tunnel fees, the number of vehicles passing through the tunnel each day will drop drastically in the first week and on the t-th day after the first week, the number N(t) (in thousands) of vehicles passing through the tunnel can be modeled by N(t) = 40 / (1+be^(-rt)) (t>=0) where b and r are positive constants.

(a) Suppose that by the end of the first week after the increase in the tunnel fees, the number of vehicles passing through the tunnel each day drops to 16 thousand and by the end of the second week, the number increases to 17.4 thousand, find b and r correct to 2 decimal places.

(b) Show that N(t) is increasing.

(c) As time passes, N(t) will approach the average number Na of vehicles passing through the tunnel each day before the increase in the tunnel fees. Find Na.

(d) The expert suggests that the company should start to advertise on the day when the rate of increase of the number of cars passing through the tunnel per day is the greatest. Using the values of b and r obtained in (a),

(i) find N''(t), and
(ii) hence determine when the company should start to advertise.

((d)(ii) 20th day)

Homework Equations

Differentiation Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve the part (d)(ii) of the question.

I think I should set the N''(t) = 0 in order to get the t.

But can anyone tell me why should I set N''(t) = 0?

Thank you very much!
" The expert suggests that the company should start to advertise on the day when the rate of increase of the number of cars passing through the tunnel per day is the greatest."
You find an extremum of a function by setting its derivative to 0. You are trying to find when "the rate of increase" is greatest- that is, you are trying to find when N'(t) is greatest and that happens when (N')'= N"= 0.

I got it!

Thank you very much!

FAQ: Applications of Differentiation

1. How is differentiation used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function?

Differentiation is used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function by finding the critical points, which are the points where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. These points can then be evaluated to determine if they correspond to a maximum or minimum value. Additionally, the second derivative of the function can be used to determine if the critical point is a maximum or minimum value.

2. What is the role of differentiation in optimization problems?

Differentiation plays a crucial role in optimization problems by helping to find the optimal solution. By finding the critical points of the objective function and using the first and second derivative tests, we can determine if these points correspond to a maximum or minimum value. This allows us to find the optimal solution for the given problem.

3. How can differentiation be applied in economics?

Differentiation is widely used in economics to analyze and model various economic phenomena such as cost, revenue, profit, and elasticity. For example, the marginal cost and marginal revenue can be found by differentiating the total cost and total revenue functions, respectively. This helps in making decisions related to production, pricing, and profit maximization.

4. What are some real-world applications of differentiation?

Differentiation has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It is used to model and analyze rates of change, optimize functions, and solve various problems involving optimization. For instance, in physics, differentiation is used to calculate velocity and acceleration, while in engineering, it is used to find the maximum load a structure can withstand.

5. Can differentiation be used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point?

Yes, differentiation can be used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. This is done by evaluating the derivative of the function at that particular point. The derivative at a point gives the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point, which represents the rate of change of the function at that point.

Back