1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying a gain of dB to a signal (function) help?

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    image.png

2. Relevant equations
    The ratio of the parameters [itex]\frac{E_1}{E_2}[/itex] to find the gain (in dB), 10[itex]\times[/itex]log10[itex]\frac{E_1}{E_2}[/itex].

"To determine the gain factor in part 8, first think about what happens to the energy when you multiply the signal by a constant factor. Then use the logarithmic formula above to solve for the gain factor."

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since energy is square of integral of a f(x), I am thinking if f(x) is multiplied by constant factor then energy will be square of that factor greater. I already have E1 of the problem, which is the energy of f(x) above = 2.99. I am confused I think because problem says 5dB then 4dB. anyway..if I assume gain of energy is equal to 4dB i have:

4dB = 10[itex]\times[/itex]log10[itex]\frac{E_1}{E_2}[/itex]
    0.4 = log10[itex]\frac{E_1}{E_2}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{E_1}{E_2}[/itex] = 2.512 → E2 = [itex]\frac{2.99}{2.512}[/itex] = 1.19

but why is the energy less than the original though? am i doing this right so far??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why do you say it is less? The ratio of 2.512 is correct.

4. Feb 13, 2014 #3
    I got confused cause the new energy is less then the one I calculated (2.99). So a gain of 4dB in the energy results in E2=1.19. How would I find the constant factor that I need to multiply the signal by? I am guessing it is something like A*x(t) and I have to find A that results in this new energy value.

5. Feb 13, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

I don't understand the 4dB vs. 5 dB discrepancy, either. Must be a typo.

You are confusing ##E_1## and ##E_2##. :frown: Once you sort that out you'll be right.

6. Feb 13, 2014 #5
    OK thats what I thought. So they would be reversed, right? In that case I get E2=7.51. So then A2=2.74. The ratio [itex]\frac{A_2}{A_1}[/itex] = 1.585. So this would be the constant factor I multiply x(t) by. Is this right?

7. Feb 14, 2014 #6

NascentOxygen

That looks right. Just √(7.51/2.99)

8. Feb 14, 2014 #7
    "The text for part 8 refers to both a 5 dB and a 4 dB gain. This is a typo. The gain to be applied is 5 dB. This has been corrected in the PDF.."

Our instructor just send out that message lol. so I guess it was a typo..

9. Feb 14, 2014 #8

NascentOxygen

That gives you the opportunity to redo the problem, this time using 5dB. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted