Boundary Conditions and Optimization in Differential Equations

In summary, the student is trying to solve a differential equation using integration by parts, but is having trouble with the first term.
ymhiq

Homework Statement

Hello, I have to demonstrate that multiplying a differential equation:
-d/dx[a(x)*d/dx{u(x)}]=f(x), 0<x<1 subject to u(0)=0 and u(1)=0.
by some function v(x) and integrating over an interval [0,1], I get a new equation that can be used in an optimisation problem, that equation is written as:
∫[a(x)*du/dx*dv/dy]dx=∫[f(x)*v(x)]dx, limits of integration of the integrals are the real numbers 0 and 1.

Homework Equations

The differential equation:

-d/dx[a(x)*d/dx{u(x)}]=f(x), 0<x<1 subject to u(0)=0 and u(1)=0.

∫[a(x)*du/dx*dv/dy]dx=∫[f(x)*v(x)]dx, limits of integration of the integrals are the real numbers 0 and 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I did a little math:
-d[a(x)]/dx*d[u(x)]/dx-a(x)*d/dx[d{u(x)}/dx]=f(x)
Then I multiplied by v(x)
-v(x)*d[a(x)]/dx*d[u(x)]/dx-v(x)*a(x)*d/dx[d{u(x)}/dx]=v(x)*f(x)
Finally I integrated that over the limits of integration 0 and 1:
-∫v(x)*d[a(x)]/dx*d[u(x)]/dx-∫v(x)*a(x)*d/dx[d{u(x)}/dx]=∫v(x)*f(x)
RHS o this equation is equal to the RHS of the equation I have to demonstrate, however LHS is quite different. So I wrote to my teacher and he wrote me "you are almost there, the only thing you need is to apply the boundary conditions in order to nullify one of the terms of the LHS"; I don't know how. Besides nullifying the second term, the firs one is not exactly the same as in the equation I have to demonstrate.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should consider using "integration by parts". That says, remember, that
[tex]\int_a^b udv= \left[uv\right]_a^b- \int_a^b vdu[/tex]

In this problem, the fact that the function is equal to 0 at both endpoints means that [itex]\left[uv\right]_a^b[/itex] is 0.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot HallsofIvy, I was here before your suggestions:
[itex]-\int^{1}_{0}v(x)a(x)\frac{d[u^{2}(x)]}{dx^{2}}dx-\int^{1}_{0}v(x)\frac{d[a(x)]}{dx}\frac{d[u(x)]}{dx}dx=\int^{1}_{0}v(x)f(x)dx[/itex]I applied them on the integrals of the LHS of this equation and did the math, I came up with this expression:

[itex]-v(x)a(x)\frac{d[u(x)]}{dx}|^{1}_{0}+\int^{1}_{0}a(x)\frac{d[v(x)]}{dx}\frac{d[u(x)]}{dx}dx+\int^{1}_{0}v(x)\frac{d[a(x)]}{dx}\frac{d[u(x)]}{dx}dx-v(x)\frac{d[a(x)]}{dx}u(x)|^{1}_{0}+\int^{1}_{0}u(x)\frac{d[v(x)]}{dx}\frac{d[a(x)]}{dx}dx+\int^{1}_{0}u(x)v(x)\frac{d^{2}[u(x)]}{dx^{2}}dx=\int^{1}_{0}v(x)f(x)dx[/itex]Applying integration by parts on the last integral of the LHS I got these expression:

[itex]-v(x)a(x)\frac{d[u(x)]}{dx}|^{1}_{0}-v(x)\frac{d[a(x)]}{dx}u(x)|^{1}_{0}+u(x)v(x)\frac{d[a(x)]}{dx}|^{1}_{0}+\int^{1}_{0}a(x)\frac{d[v(x)]}{dx}\frac{d[u(x)]}{dx}dx=\int^{1}_{0}v(x)f(x)dx[/itex]I am sure that the second and the third terms of the LHS nullify according to the boundary conditions so I get this:

[itex]-v(x)a(x)\frac{d[u(x)]}{dx}|^{1}_{0}+\int^{1}_{0}a(x)\frac{d[v(x)]}{dx}\frac{d[u(x)]}{dx}dx=\int^{1}_{0}v(x)f(x)dx[/itex]What could I do with the first term of the LHS, I'm not sure it nullifies.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

FAQ: Boundary Conditions and Optimization in Differential Equations

What is the purpose of applying boundary conditions?

Applying boundary conditions is an essential step in mathematical and computational modeling. It helps to define the limits and constraints of a system under study and allows for accurate predictions and analysis of the behavior of the system.

What are the types of boundary conditions?

There are three main types of boundary conditions: Dirichlet boundary conditions, Neumann boundary conditions, and Robin boundary conditions. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the value of the solution at the boundary, Neumann boundary conditions specify the derivative of the solution at the boundary, and Robin boundary conditions specify a combination of the value and derivative of the solution at the boundary.

How do you choose the appropriate boundary conditions for a problem?

Choosing the appropriate boundary conditions depends on the problem at hand and the physical conditions of the system. It is important to consider the nature of the boundary, the behavior of the system at the boundary, and the desired outcome of the model.

What are some common mistakes when applying boundary conditions?

Some common mistakes when applying boundary conditions include not fully understanding the problem and its physical constraints, using the wrong type of boundary condition, and incorrectly defining the boundary itself. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check the boundary conditions to ensure accurate results.

Can boundary conditions be adjusted during the model simulation?

Yes, boundary conditions can be adjusted during the simulation if necessary. This is often done in cases where the physical conditions of the system change over time, and the boundary conditions need to be updated to reflect these changes. However, changing the boundary conditions during a simulation may affect the accuracy and stability of the model, so it should be done carefully and with proper justification.

Back