Is complex analysis in demand for academic jobs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of finding a job in the field of complex analysis after obtaining a doctorate in mathematics. The speaker suggests broadening the search for teaching positions at community colleges and universities with a teaching focus, as well as applying for tutoring positions at larger schools. They also mention the importance of gaining teaching experience. The conversation ends with a question about when the speaker applied and interviewed for their current position, and the suggested timeline for interviews for academic positions.
mathprof
Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I have recently graduated with a doctorate in mathematics and I'm now a visiting assistant professor at a university in Ohio. My contract expires in May 2018, so I've been frantically applying to any type of academic job opening in my field (specifically complex analysis) to commence in August of 2018. I have heard nothing from any of the colleges I've applied to. I have a decent amount of research work (3 published papers so far) considering I'm a new Ph.D, however, no interviews. Is complex analysis very unpopular now or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Even though applications are often due in the Fall, in many of the cases where I applied for jobs, I did not hear anything or be asked for interviews until the late Winter or Spring.

You should also broaden the scope of your search and begin applying for math teaching positions at community colleges and universities with more of a teaching than a research focus. A lot of those job ads will just be appearing about now and will continue to appear until March or April.

Thank you! I have applied to many teaching schools. But as a new Ph.D I have very little experience teaching compared to other applicants.

mathprof said:
Thank you! I have applied to many teaching schools. But as a new Ph.D I have very little experience teaching compared to other applicants.

I made sure to get plenty of TA and tutoring experience in grad school, thinking it might go that way, and it did. But you must be teaching now, so you have at least a year of experience. If needed, add another course or two to your spring teaching load.

In addition to math faculty, most of the larger schools now have at least one tutoring center. These tend to be dominated by students coming for help in math, chemistry, and physics (usually in that order). Many of these tutoring centers hire full time tutors and use a combination of full time adult labor AND skillful student labor to provide for student needs. These jobs are probably not what you would want to make a career out of, but landing one would be a way to gain more teaching experience as a stepping stone to tenure track faculty positions at teaching-focussed schools.

I served as a math prof and the director of the tutoring center at the Air Force Academy, and my (student) son has been a student tutor at two different big state schools, so I've gotten to see and hear how those work also. These tutoring facilities are often lacking talented understanding of the material, and a math PhD and a year of teaching experience would likely get their attention. But it takes a bit more shoe leather and sleuthing to find them. I'd track down all the tutoring centers on the campuses of interest and contact them directly. Don't wait to see a job ad. Assume they need your skill and move forward.

When did you apply, get interviewed, etc. for your current position? For normal academic-year positions, in my experience (albeit in physics, not math, and at small colleges), interviews were always after New Year, sometimes in January, but typically February and even as late as March.

Have application deadlines even passed yet, for the positions you've applied to?

What are the basic qualifications for applying for academic jobs?

The basic qualifications for applying for academic jobs vary depending on the specific job and institution. However, some common qualifications include a relevant degree in the field, teaching experience, research experience, and publications in relevant journals or conferences.

How do I find academic job opportunities?

There are several ways to find academic job opportunities. You can search for job postings on university websites, academic job search engines, and professional association websites. You can also network with colleagues and attend job fairs and conferences to learn about job openings.

What documents do I need to include in my academic job application?

The required documents for an academic job application may vary, but typically include a cover letter, CV or resume, a statement of teaching philosophy, a research statement, and letters of recommendation. Some institutions may also require additional documents such as transcripts or a teaching portfolio.

How important is research experience in an academic job application?

Research experience is an important factor in academic job applications, especially for positions that involve conducting research. It demonstrates your expertise and potential for contributing to the field. However, teaching experience and other relevant qualifications are also important for academic job applications.

What can I do to make my academic job application stand out?

To make your academic job application stand out, you can tailor your application to the specific job and institution, highlight your relevant experience and qualifications, and provide strong letters of recommendation. You can also showcase any unique skills or experiences that make you a strong candidate for the position.