1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying linearity in a circuit

1. Feb 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find Io in the network in the figure below using linearity and the assumption that Io = 1 mA.
    Figure:http://i.imgur.com/Xtu0VmG.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    KCL, KVL, basic analysis techniques.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The following values I have calculated correctly:
    VR1=9V
    VR2=61V
    VR3=70V
    I1=1mA
    I2=2mA
    VR4=138V
    VS=208v
    I3=??
    IS=??
    IoActual=??

So, my trouble lies in finding I3, as once I find I3, I can easily find IS using KCL, though, the current source is doing something to the voltage drop across I3 that I'm not understanding.

How I tried to solve for I3 was the same way I solved for VS. Since the voltage drop across the source is 208v, then I assumed that the voltage drop across the two resistors on the left summed to 208v as well.

So, using Ohms Law: V/R=I, 208v/(42000Ω+26000Ω)=3mA, which is incorrect. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Rounding errors probably. Your analysis is fine. Just use fractions instead of calculating decimals and rounding.

4. Feb 28, 2014 #3
    Thank you very much Vela. You were correct. 3mA was incorrect, but 3.05mA was correct. (My online homework has a +/- 2% tolerance, so 0.5 was enough to fall outside of the threshold!

Thanks for verifying my methodology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted