Linear Circuits Thevenins Theorem question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the voltage across a 1kΩ resistor using Thévenin's theorem. The participants go through the steps of removing the resistor from the circuit, simplifying the remaining circuit, and using mesh analysis to find the voltage. They also mention some key things to know about Thevenin and Norton resistances.
careless25
Hi,

New member here!

Ok, this is a textbook question which I need help with as I am self teaching myself Linear Circuits. I have an exam in a week and I wanted to clear out some questions I had.

Homework Statement

textbook question: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0By2PVt4Tdl6VZjNmMGRmODgtOWVmYy00MTUxLWExNjItZmQ4MTMxMzYyZDAy&hl=en_GB

Find Vo using Thévenin’s theorem

Homework Equations

Mesh Analysis:

I1 = 8mA (8mA current source loop)
I2 = 2mA (2mA current source loop)

Loop I3 : -I1(3kΩ) - I2(6kΩ) + I3(15kΩ) = -12V (voltage source loop)
I3 = 36/15 = 12/5 mA

R_th = 18/5 kΩ + 2kΩ

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we want to find Voltage across the 1kΩ resistor using Thevenin's theorem, I removed the resistor from the circuit.
Now to find the voltage across the Open terminals I would have to simplify the circuit. Where I am stuck is how I can simplify the rest of the circuit so that I have Voltage and R_th.
The current sources are baffling me, I don't know how to simplify those.

I tried using Mesh analysis because i have 2 of the 3 currents but I don't know how to use those currents to find a voltage across the terminals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

C25

Physics news on Phys.org
With your calculated I3 you should be able to find the voltage drop across the 6kΩ resistor which is in series with the 12V supply. The 2mA current source forces the potential drop across the 2kΩ resistor. Add a touch of KVL and you have your Thevenin voltage.

Here are some things to know.

The Thevenin and Norton resistances are equivalent.

The short circuit load current is equal to the Norton current.

The Thevenin and Norton resistances are equal to the Thevenin voltage (a.k.a. short circuit load voltage) divided by the Norton current.

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem and how is it used in linear circuits?

Thevenin's Theorem is a method used to simplify complex linear circuits into equivalent circuits with a single voltage source and a single resistor. This is done by replacing the original circuit with a Thevenin equivalent circuit, which has the same voltage and current characteristics at the load terminals. This simplification allows for easier analysis and calculation of circuit parameters.

2. How do you find the Thevenin voltage and resistance in a linear circuit?

To find the Thevenin voltage, the circuit is analyzed by removing the load and calculating the voltage across the load terminals. This voltage is then used as the Thevenin voltage. To find the Thevenin resistance, all independent sources are turned off and the resistance across the load terminals is calculated using methods such as voltage division or current division.

3. Can Thevenin's Theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's Theorem can only be used for linear circuits. Non-linear circuits have components whose characteristics change with voltage or current, making it impossible to determine a fixed Thevenin voltage and resistance.

4. What are the advantages of using Thevenin's Theorem in circuit analysis?

Thevenin's Theorem simplifies complex linear circuits into equivalent circuits with only one voltage source and one resistor, making it easier to analyze and calculate circuit parameters. It also allows for quick determination of the voltage and current at load terminals without having to go through complex calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Thevenin's Theorem in circuit analysis?

Thevenin's Theorem can only be used for linear circuits, so it cannot be applied to non-linear circuits. Additionally, it assumes that the circuit is in steady state, meaning that all transients have died out. If this is not the case, Thevenin's Theorem may not accurately predict circuit behavior.