1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying the Derivative

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    1. Find two numbers x and y whose sum is 120 and whose product is a maximum.

2. none

3. x + y = 120
    xy = maximum
    x = 120 - y
    I wrote these down but I don't know what to do next. Can you please show me? :) Thank You!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

Well you have the function P = xy which you want to maximize, however it contains two variables. Are they independent though? How can you reduce this function down to a single variable function?

4. May 29, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Replace the x in xy with 120- y so you have only one variable. Now, do you know how to "apply the derivative" to find where a function has a maximum or minimum?

5. May 29, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As an alternate approach, the graph of your area function, as a function of either x or y alone, is a parabola. You can find the vertex of the parabola, at which the maximum area is attained, without using calculus.

6. May 29, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ah! Excellent point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook