Applying to college after graduating from high school?

In summary, Education in this conversation is discussed as consisting of 13 years of schooling, with some students choosing to complete their last two years at a separate institution. The speaker is in a unique situation, having had to complete their thirteenth year at a different school and is now considering taking a gap year before applying to college. They have concerns about recommendation letters from teachers and guidance counselors, but it is common for students to take a gap year and they can ask for letters from teachers at both schools. The speaker also mentions their experience at an IB school and the possibility of getting recommendations from teachers and counselors there.
Mépris
Education down here consists of 13 years of schooling and often, after the first five years of secondary school (post GCSE/iGCSE/O-Level), students choose to complete the remaining two years at a separate institution. My case is a little different. I started year 12 at the same school but due to some "unusual circumstances" (not going to get into this), I had to complete my thirteenth year elsewhere. While I think I can get relatively good grades (As and Bs) this time 'round, I don't want to go to college immediately. There's other things I intend on doing first and would like to take a "gap year" before applying. How should I go about this? Can teachers from either of the schools I've been to write the recommendation letters?

Also, has anyone here who's done A-Levels applied to college in the US?

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it no one has or knows anyone who didn't go to college right after high school? I want to get a job and work for a while first. Any help would be appreciated.

People do this all the time. I'm not sure what you're worried about. Just don't apply to college right away. Take the year off, work, and during that year off apply at the appropriate time to college. No-one is expecting you to jump straight into college after high school, it definitely isn't a requirement and it definitely won't deter your future chances of getting in.

Clever-Name said:
People do this all the time. I'm not sure what you're worried about. Just don't apply to college right away. Take the year off, work, and during that year off apply at the appropriate time to college. No-one is expecting you to jump straight into college after high school, it definitely isn't a requirement and it definitely won't deter your future chances of getting in.

I see. I felt pretty concerned because I'm not all that familiar with the US system In application forms that were available, I always saw mentions of "teacher and principal/counselor recommendations" and since I won't even be in school, I was wondering how I should go about that.

Can I ask from recommendations from teachers from both schools? Say, humanities teacher rec from one school and science from the other? I don't really know how much "freedom" there is with regards to this.

Can't hurt to ask. Just call the schools, get in touch with the teachers, and ask.

Tell the teachers/guidance counselors you would like letters from that you plan to work for a year before college, and ask if they would still be willing to write letters of recommendation for you. It is pretty common for students to do a "gap year", so it probably won't be a problem.

Angry Citizen said:
Can't hurt to ask. Just call the schools, get in touch with the teachers, and ask.

sweetpotato said:
Tell the teachers/guidance counselors you would like letters from that you plan to work for a year before college, and ask if they would still be willing to write letters of recommendation for you. It is pretty common for students to do a "gap year", so it probably won't be a problem.

Thank you.

I was under the impression that it was really "srs business". So, that's good news for me. I actually had five month stint in an IB school and I think that my English teacher there would be more likely to write a positive recommendation for me. Same goes for the guidance counsellor (they actually had one, heh) of that school.

1. What are the general requirements for applying to college after graduating from high school?

The general requirements for applying to college after graduating from high school can vary depending on the institution. However, most colleges will require a completed application, high school transcripts, standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, and a personal essay. Some colleges may also require additional materials such as a resume or portfolio.

2. When should I start the college application process?

It is recommended to start the college application process during the fall of your senior year in high school. This will give you enough time to research and narrow down your college choices, gather all necessary materials, and complete the application before the submission deadline.

3. How important are extracurricular activities and community service in the college application process?

Extracurricular activities and community service can play a significant role in the college application process. Colleges are not only looking for students with excellent academic records but also for well-rounded individuals who have demonstrated leadership, passion, and commitment through their involvement in extracurricular activities and community service.

4. Can I apply to multiple colleges at the same time?

Yes, you can apply to multiple colleges at the same time. In fact, it is recommended to apply to several colleges to increase your chances of acceptance. However, keep in mind that each college may have different application requirements and deadlines, so make sure to stay organized and submit all materials on time.

5. What are my options if I don't get accepted into any colleges?

If you do not get accepted into any colleges, there are a few options you can consider. You can apply to other colleges that have later deadlines, attend a community college and transfer to a four-year university later on, take a gap year to gain more experience and reapply to colleges, or explore alternative paths such as trade schools or starting a career. Remember, getting accepted into one specific college does not determine your future success. There are many paths to achieving your goals.