Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation for the Exponential

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    I have been studying for the GRE and taking note of various approximations to use on the exam, but I am having a difficult time finding a way to evaluate the following without the aid of a calculator
    [itex]e^{-x}[/itex].

The GRE practice book has a problem to which the answer is
    [itex]e^{-10} = 4.5 \times 10^{-5} [/itex].

I thought of using a Taylor series, but that is unwieldy... as were some other methods that I thought of.

I apologize if this is something I should know already... being that I have a B.S. in physics, but I'm really stuck here and I don't want to miss a problem like this just because I don't have a calculator.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2
    "I don't have a calculator."

What the hey!? For starters, even "fast" algorithms implemented in compilers involve a lot of floating point operations -- you'd lose a lot of time pencil & papering (or even abacusing) trying to do those by hand. Also, what are you going to do if a problem requires trig functions?

Anyhow, you can get a decent scientific calculator for under $10: http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/CSOFX260SOLAR/11Q3/ , for example. Go get one and spend a couple of hours getting familiar with it -- you'll have a lot of competition on the GRE. BTW, good luck!

4. Dec 2, 2011 #3
    Thank you for the reply, but I actually meant that I won't be able to use a calculator. It's not allowed on the GRE!

5. Dec 2, 2011 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you keep in your own memory (brain not computer) log10e, it will help you get ball park estimates for ex.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook