Approximation of \hbar\omega << k_{B}T for Proving Formula

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between the black body radiation equation and the Rayleigh-Jeans law. The reason for the approximation of the equation to the law when hf << kT is due to the small value of e^x - 1 for small x, which is represented by the first two terms of its Taylor series. The original expression for the intensity of a black body is given, and the suggestion to derive it is to replace e^{\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}}-1 with \frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}.
spaghetti3451
Prove

[tex]\hbar\omega << k_{B}T \Rightarrow \frac{\hbar\omega}{e^{\frac{\hbar\omega}{k_{B}T} - 1}[/tex].

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I meant that

[tex]\hbar\omega << k_{B}T \Rightarrow \frac{ \hbar \omega}{e^{ \frac{ \hbar \omega}{ k_{B} T} - 1} = k_{B} T.[/tex]

I assume you're trying to ask about the black body radiation equation,

[tex]I(f, T) =\frac{ 2 h f^{3}}{c^2}\frac{1}{ e^{\frac{h f}{kT}}-1}[/tex]

and why when [itex]hf << kT[/itex] this equation approximates to the Rayleigh–Jeans law,

[tex]I(f, T) =\frac{ 2 k T f^{2}}{c^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
The simple reason is that

[tex]e^x - 1 \simeq x [/tex]

for small x.

This is actually just e^x replaced with the first two terms of it's Taylor series.

Thank you for your answer.

Actually, this was my original expression.

[tex]u(\omega) =\frac{ \hbar \omega^{3}}{ \pi^{2} c^{3}}\frac{1}{ e^{\frac{ \hbar \omega}{kT}}-1}[/tex].

How do I derive the intensity of a black body (as above) from this expression?

Do as uart suggested- replace
[tex]e^{\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}}-1[/tex]
with
[tex]\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}[/tex]

Related to Approximation of \hbar\omega << k_{B}T for Proving Formula

1. What is the significance of the approximation of \hbar\omega << k_{B}T in proving a formula?

This approximation is used in statistical mechanics to simplify the calculation of thermal averages in systems with high energy levels. It allows for the use of the Boltzmann distribution, which assumes that the energy levels are evenly spaced and that the energy of each level is much smaller than the thermal energy.

2. How is the approximation of \hbar\omega << k_{B}T derived?

The approximation is based on the fact that the thermal energy, k_{B}T, is much larger than the energy of a single quantum, \hbar\omega. This leads to the assumption that the contribution of higher energy levels to the thermal average is negligible, allowing for the use of the Boltzmann distribution.

3. Can the \hbar\omega << k_{B}T approximation be applied to all systems?

No, this approximation is only valid for systems with evenly spaced energy levels and energy levels that are much smaller than the thermal energy. It is commonly used in systems such as gases, but may not be applicable to other types of systems.

4. What are the limitations of the \hbar\omega << k_{B}T approximation?

The main limitation is that it cannot be applied to systems with non-uniformly spaced energy levels or systems with significant contributions from higher energy levels. In these cases, a more advanced approach is needed to calculate thermal averages.

5. How does the \hbar\omega << k_{B}T approximation impact the accuracy of calculations?

The accuracy of calculations using this approximation depends on the specific system being studied. In systems where it is applicable, the approximation can greatly simplify calculations and provide reasonably accurate results. However, in systems where it is not applicable, the results may be significantly inaccurate.