Approximation of \hbar\omega << k_{B}T for Proving Formula

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Approximation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
spaghetti3451
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
31
Prove

[tex]\hbar\omega << k_{B}T \Rightarrow \frac{\hbar\omega}{e^{\frac{\hbar\omega}{k_{B}T} - 1}[/tex].
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I meant that

[tex]\hbar\omega << k_{B}T \Rightarrow \frac{ \hbar \omega}{e^{ \frac{ \hbar \omega}{ k_{B} T} - 1} = k_{B} T.[/tex]
 
I assume you're trying to ask about the black body radiation equation,

[tex]I(f, T) =\frac{ 2 h f^{3}}{c^2}\frac{1}{ e^{\frac{h f}{kT}}-1}[/tex]

and why when [itex]hf << kT[/itex] this equation approximates to the Rayleigh–Jeans law,

[tex]I(f, T) =\frac{ 2 k T f^{2}}{c^2}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
The simple reason is that

[tex]e^x - 1 \simeq x[/tex]

for small x.

This is actually just e^x replaced with the first two terms of it's Taylor series.
 
Thank you for your answer.

Actually, this was my original expression.

[tex]u(\omega) =\frac{ \hbar \omega^{3}}{ \pi^{2} c^{3}}\frac{1}{ e^{\frac{ \hbar \omega}{kT}}-1}[/tex].

How do I derive the intensity of a black body (as above) from this expression?
 
Do as uart suggested- replace
[tex]e^{\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}}-1[/tex]
with
[tex]\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}[/tex]