Arc diameter as a function of arc length and chord length

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a formula for determining the diameter of a bicycle tire based on its carcass width and the interior rim width. The formula involves the use of the Sagitta Theorem and results in a numerical or graphical solution.
Robin64
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to come up with a formula that defines a bike tire's diameter as a function of interior rim width and tire carcass width
I'm trying to determine if a certain bicycle tire size will fit my bike, and that determination is based on the inflated diameter (or width) of the tire. As such, I'm trying to come up with a formula that will give me the diameter of a bicycle tire as a function of the tire's carcass width and the interior width of the rim. In the attached drawing, w is the interior rim width and S is the width of the tire carcass and the length of the arc ABC. I'm trying to derive the formula as a function of the only two knowns: w and S. Here's my derivation so far:
w=2r*sin(θ/2)
θ=2*arcsin[w/(2r)]
α=2π-θ=2π-2*arcsin[w/(2r)]

r=S/α

r=S/{2π-2*arcsin[w/(2r)]}

I can't see how to eliminate r.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 19.47.30.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 19.47.30.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 279
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look up Sagitta Theorem

That's just seems to introduce another unknown. I don't know the Sagitta length.

I can't see how to eliminate r.
[/QUOTE]
Looks like you do end up with a transcendental equation for r. My bad.
But you do have a solution albeit a numerical (or graphical) one.

Ok. I suspected that might the case. I can work with a graphical solution.

Thanks.

1. What is the formula for calculating arc diameter as a function of arc length and chord length?

The formula for calculating arc diameter as a function of arc length and chord length is: D = (2 * L^2) / (C * π), where D is the diameter, L is the arc length, and C is the chord length.

2. How do arc length and chord length affect the arc diameter?

Arc length and chord length are directly proportional to the arc diameter. This means that as the arc length or chord length increases, the arc diameter also increases.

3. Can the arc diameter be larger than the chord length?

Yes, the arc diameter can be larger than the chord length. In fact, the arc diameter will always be larger than the chord length, unless the arc is a semi-circle (where the arc diameter is equal to the chord length).

4. What is the relationship between arc diameter and the central angle of the arc?

The arc diameter and central angle of an arc are directly related. The central angle is equal to the arc length divided by the radius of the circle, while the arc diameter is equal to the radius multiplied by the central angle.

5. How does the arc length and chord length affect the curvature of the arc?

The arc length and chord length have a direct impact on the curvature of the arc. As the arc length and chord length increase, the curvature of the arc decreases, resulting in a flatter arc. Conversely, as the arc length and chord length decrease, the curvature of the arc increases, resulting in a sharper arc.