1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length of vector function with trigonometric components

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the length of the path traced out by a particle moving on a curve according to the given equation during the time interval specified in each case.
    r(t) = (c2/a)cos3t i + (c2/b)sin3t j

where i and j are the usual unit vectors, 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] t [itex]\leq[/itex] 2[itex]\pi[/itex], c2 = a2 - b2, and 0 < b < a

Also, r(t) is the position vector-valued function of t. Scalar functions will not be bolded.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the arc length in this case is the integral of ||r'(t)|| = v(t) from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Differentiating gives: r'(t) = (-3c2/a)cos2t sin t i + (3c2/b)sin2t cos t j.

Therefore, v(t) = √{(9c4/a2)cos4t sin2t + (9c4/b2)sin4t cos2t)} = √{(9c4/a2)cos2t(cos2t sin2t) + (9c4/b2)sin2t(sin2t cos2t)} =

√{(9c4/a2)cos2t(0.25sin22t) + (9c4/b2)sin2t(0.25sin22t)} = √{(9c4/a2)cos2t(0.25sin22t) + (9c4/b2)sin2t(0.25sin22t)} =

(3c2/2)(sin2t)*√{(1/a2)cos2t + (1/b2)sin2t} = (3c2/(2ab))(sin2t)*√{(b2)cos2t + (a2)sin2t}

And that is where I get stuck. I'm not sure what the integral of that expression is, nor do I know what I can do to simplify it further. I would say that it has no simple solution, since the argument under the square root looks an awfully lot like an integral for an ellipse, and I have heard one needs something called an "elliptic integral" to solve. However, the answer for this problem is quite simple: (4a3-4b3)/(ab). Will someone please help me with this?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Subdot! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
    Use standard trigonometric identities to write it as sin2t f(cos2t) :smile:

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    Hello! Oh! I get it now. I just use the identities: sin2 = .5 - .5cos2t and cos2 = .5 + .5cos2t after which I do a simple substitution. Thanks for that! On another related note, now it's obvious that I'm going to need to integrate it a step over the interval at a time.

[(1/(ab)) (.5b2 + (.5b2 - .5a2)cos(2t) + .5a2)1.5] from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex]. If I try to integrate it from 0 to .5[itex]\pi[/itex] then from .5[itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] and so on I come up with (2a3 - 2b3)/(ab) + (2b3 - 2a3)/(ab). I'm guessing from the answer that I am justified in flipping that last fraction around to (2a^3 - 2b^3)/(ab). However, I'd like to know why, so I'll be able to do it in the future without knowing the answer. I think it's because the arc length must be positive and so I must flip (b3 - a3)/(ab) to (a3 - b3)/(ab) because b < a? So then do you take the absolute value of the integral as you move up the interval, not the integrand, when you find arc length?

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The reason is that you factored cos(t)^2*sin(t)^2 outside of the sqrt as cos(t)*sin(t). It really should be |cos(t)*sin(t)|. So you have to break the integral where cos(t)*sin(t) changes sign.

6. Nov 25, 2009 #5
    Okay, I get it all now. I can't believe I missed that... Thanks both!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook