Calculating Arc Length for Curve c(t) = (t,t,t^2)

In summary, the conversation on Yahoo! Answers is about finding the arc length for the curve c(t)= (t,t,t^2) from 1<=t<=2. The user understands that they need to find the derivative of c(t) and integrate its length. They also mention using the identity sqrt{ x^2 + a^2 } to find the length. Another user responds with a solution using integration by parts and provides the final formula for finding the arc length. They also mention using the formula with a=1/2 to find the length of the curve c(t).
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

Find arc length for the curve c(t)= (t,t,t^2) from 1<=t<=2?
I understand that I find C'(t) and integrate the length of it.

C'(t)= (1, 1, 2t) and so the length is sqrt{ 1 + 1 + 4t^2 } = sqrt{2+4t^2}

Now when integrating this...would I use the sqrt{ x^2 + a^2 } identity where x = 2t and a = sqrt{2}?

Help. Answer is (6-sqrt{3})/sqrt{2} + 1/2 log ( [2sqrt{2}+3]/[sqrt{2}+sqrt{3}] )

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Using integration by parts with $u=\sqrt{x^2+a}$ and $dx=dx$, we get $du=\dfrac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+a}}$ and $v=x.$ Then,
$$\begin{aligned}
I&=\int\sqrt{x^2+a}\;dx\\
&=x\sqrt{x^2+a}-\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+a}}dx\\
&=x\sqrt{x^2+a}-\int \frac{x^2+a-a}{\sqrt{x^2+a}}dx\\
&=x\sqrt{x^2+a}-\int \frac{x^2+a}{\sqrt{x^2+a}}dx+a\int \dfrac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2+a}}\\
&=x\sqrt{x^2+a}-I+a\log \left|\;x+\sqrt{x^2+a}\;\right|\\
&\Rightarrow I=\frac{x\sqrt{x^2+a}}{2}+\dfrac{a}{2}\log \left|\;x+\sqrt{x^2+a}\;\right|+C
\end{aligned}$$

Now, using the above formula with $a=1/2$, you can easily find the length $L$ of the curve:
$$L=\int_1^2\sqrt{4x^2+2}\;dx=2\int_1^2\sqrt{x^2+1/2}\;dx=...$$

What is the formula for calculating arc length for curve c(t) = (t,t,t^2)?

The formula for calculating the arc length for a curve c(t) = (t,t,t^2) is:L = ∫√(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2 + z'(t)^2)dt, where x'(t), y'(t), and z'(t) are the derivatives of the x, y, and z components of the curve, respectively.

What is the purpose of calculating arc length for a curve?

The purpose of calculating arc length for a curve is to find the total distance along the curve. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object or determining the length of a curved boundary in a problem.

Can the arc length for a curve be negative?

No, the arc length for a curve cannot be negative. It represents a distance and therefore must be a positive value.

What are the units for arc length?

The units for arc length will depend on the units of the curve's components. For example, if the curve is in meters, the arc length will also be in meters.

Are there any limitations to calculating arc length for a curve?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating arc length for a curve. The curve must be smooth and continuous, and the derivatives of the curve's components must exist and be continuous. Additionally, the curve must have a defined starting and ending point for the arc length calculation to be meaningful.