Calculating Area of Curve in 2m Deep Water

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the area of a section of a curve submerged in 2 m deep water. The person is studying for an exam and is solving various problems. The solution involves calculating the angle of the submerged curve and using basic geometry to find the area.
netuser_uk20

Homework Statement

here's a picture of the problem

http://i39.tinypic.com/28u017m.jpg

I am trying to workout the area of the section of the curve submerged in 2 m deep water.

This is not a homework. I am studying for my exam.. so i am just doing a bunch of different problems.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to calculate the angle of the curve submerged first in order to workout the area.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're making this more complicated than it really is. You can figure out the angle of the arc portion submerged in the water, then use basic geometry (i.e. sector area = angle (in rads) * .5 * radius^2), to get the area.

1. How do you calculate the area of a curve in 2m deep water?

To calculate the area of a curve in 2m deep water, you first need to measure the depth of the water at various points along the curve. This can be done using a depth gauge or a measuring tape. Next, you will need to plot the points on a graph and connect them to form the curve. Then, using the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, you can calculate the area under the curve, taking into account the depth measurements at each point.

2. What is the significance of calculating the area of a curve in 2m deep water?

Calculating the area of a curve in 2m deep water can provide important information about the volume of water in a specific area. This can be useful in understanding the flow of water, determining the capacity of a reservoir or canal, or predicting potential flooding in a certain region.

3. Are there any specific units that should be used when calculating the area of a curve in 2m deep water?

The depth measurements should be in meters and the resulting area will be in square meters. However, it is important to be consistent with units throughout the calculation to ensure accurate results.

4. Can the same method be used to calculate the area of a curve in deeper or shallower water?

Yes, the same method can be used to calculate the area of a curve in water of any depth. However, the depth measurements and calculations will need to be adjusted accordingly. For shallower water, more frequent depth measurements may be needed to accurately capture the curve.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the area of a curve in 2m deep water?

There are a few limitations to consider when calculating the area of a curve in 2m deep water. The trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule are approximations and may not provide exact results. Additionally, these methods assume a smooth curve and may not be accurate for jagged or irregular curves. It is also important to consider any changes in the depth of the water over time, as this can affect the accuracy of the calculation.