How much does a brick weigh if it displaces its own weight in water?

• Thread starter nhrock3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Archimedes
In summary, the conversation discusses the weight and volume of a brick and how to measure it. The suggestion is to put the brick on a scale to determine its weight. The conversation also mentions that the brick will displace its weight of water when submerged in a bucket of water. The group also discusses alternative methods to measure the weight of the brick, such as using a scale or finding its density.
nhrock3
i have a brick at home
i want to know what its weight
if i will put it in a bucket of water
the level of water will raise

i know that 1 litter of water is 1kg

the raised level is the volume of the brick

how to know it weight
i don't know its density?

Physics news on Phys.org
Put the brick on a scale and weigh it.:wink:

That's the obvious answer. If you're looking for a less obvious answer, tell us whether there are any restrictions on what you have to work with, what you can or cannot do, and so on. I.e., give us the complete problem statement.

Mark44 said:
Put the brick on a scale and weigh it.:wink:

he he :biggrin:

Hi nhrock3! :smile:

If the brick sinks to the bottom, it only displaces its volume of water.

How do you think you could get it to displace its weight of water? :wink:

What is the Archimedes experiment?

The Archimedes experiment, also known as the Archimedes principle, is a scientific experiment that demonstrates the relationship between the weight of a body immersed in a fluid and the weight of the fluid it displaces.

What materials are needed for the Archimedes experiment?

The materials needed for the Archimedes experiment include a container, a fluid (such as water), a body to be immersed (such as a solid object), a scale, and a ruler or measuring tape.

How do you perform the Archimedes experiment?

To perform the Archimedes experiment, first fill the container with the fluid and measure its weight. Then, place the body to be immersed in the fluid and measure its weight. Finally, measure the weight of the fluid that is displaced by the immersed body. The weight of the displaced fluid should be equal to the weight of the immersed body.

What is the significance of the Archimedes principle?

The Archimedes principle is significant because it explains the concept of buoyancy and helps us understand why objects float or sink in fluids. It also has practical applications, such as in shipbuilding and designing submarines.

Can the Archimedes experiment be performed with different fluids?

Yes, the Archimedes experiment can be performed with different fluids, as long as they have different densities. In fact, Archimedes himself originally used this experiment to determine the purity of a gold crown by comparing its weight in water and in air. This principle holds true for any fluid, whether it is water, oil, or even air.