Archimedes Principle and steel bar question

In summary: I had a feeling i had got that part wrong. But could not find anywhere that showed me how to apply relative density.
Ben_Walker1978

Homework Statement

Can someone tell me if i have done this correct please?

A steel bar of length 0.6m and diameter 70mm is suspended from a chain and lowered into a tank of liquid whose relative density is 0.9. Determine the tension in the chain when the bar is fully immersed. The density of the water is 1000kg/m³ and the density of steel is 7870kg/m³.

Homework Equations

Fb = ΡF Vd g

T = mg - Fb

The Attempt at a Solution

Achimedes Principle.png

Attachments

• Achimedes Principle.png
    Achimedes Principle.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 858
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ben,

Ben_Walker1978 said:
Can someone tell me if i have done this correct please?
That's not really what PF is about. Your teacher is the one who grades the homework (and he/she gets paid a little bit for doing that).
What we can do is help you build sufficient self-confidence, so you can convince yourself that's your work is correct.

My question in return, therefore, is: do you see any weaknesses in your working ?

But PF IS the place for comments, like the following:
You have been given values in one , two or three digits accuracy. In such a case it does not make sense to answer in 10 digits accuracy.

Last edited:
Hello,

Sorry i thought it was for things like this.

I thought it was correct.

I was just unsure with the relative density of 0.9. Was not to sure what to do with the relative density.

I thought the relative density could affect the final Tension.

Thank you for the replys.

Excellent !
##\rho_F## is the density of the fluid.
What is the density of the fluid that you used in the calculation ?

Likes Ben_Walker1978
1000Kg/m^3 which is water.

Ben_Walker1978 said:
1000Kg/m^3 which is water.
The relative density gives a relation between the density of the used liquid ##\rho_f## and a reference liquid (which probably is water, which is why the density of water is stated in the question). The relationship reads

$$rel\;\rho =\frac{\rho_f}{\rho_{ref}}$$

Therefore I probably misread the question the first time, my bad, I'm sorry. Your method to calculate is basically correct, but the density of the liquid in which the bar is immersed is different to the one of water. You probably have to calculate it with the relation given above.

Likes Ben_Walker1978
Hello,

Thats ok.

So instead of using 100Kg/m^3 in, Fb = ΡF Vd g.

Use 1111.11 ? I got this by 1000/0.9.

Thanks.

Ben_Walker1978 said:
So instead of using 100Kg/m^3 in, Fb = ΡF Vd g.
Use 1111.11 ? I got this by 1000/0.9.

I don't think so. Water should be the reference liquid with the reference density ##\rho_{ref}##.

Ok. I don't really understand what you mean.

Thanks.

If the relative density is 0.9, that means the density is 0.9 times that of water, so 900 kg/m3

Likes Ben_Walker1978
BvU said:
If the relative density is 0.9, that means the density is 0.9 times that of water, so 900 kg/m3

So times not divide like i did?

So does that mean i put 900Kg/m^3 instead of 1000Kg/m^3 ?

I have watched a few YouTube videos, but none show how to use relative density, like in my question.

This is why i got stuck.

Thank you.

Ben_Walker1978 said:
So times not divide like i did? Yes

So does that mean i put 900Kg/m^3 instead of 1000Kg/m^3 ? Yes

Likes Ben_Walker1978
Thank you. Really appreciate your help.

I had a feeling i had got that part wrong. But could not find anywhere that shown me how to apply relative density.

Thanks.

1. What is Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle is a scientific law that states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does Archimedes Principle apply to a steel bar?

When a steel bar is immersed in a fluid, it displaces a certain amount of fluid based on its volume. According to Archimedes Principle, the upward buoyant force on the steel bar is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces, which helps to keep the steel bar afloat.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force on a steel bar?

The buoyant force on a steel bar is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the steel bar, and the acceleration due to gravity. All of these factors play a role in determining the upward force that keeps the steel bar afloat.

4. How does the weight of the steel bar compare to the weight of the fluid it displaces?

According to Archimedes Principle, the weight of the fluid displaced by the steel bar is equal to the weight of the steel bar. This means that the steel bar will float if the weight of the fluid it displaces is equal to or greater than its own weight.

5. Can Archimedes Principle be applied to objects that are not fully submerged in a fluid?

Yes, Archimedes Principle can be applied to objects that are partially or fully submerged in a fluid. However, the amount of fluid displaced and the buoyant force will vary depending on the level of submersion.