Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arclength, Surface Area and Volume

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    I was just thinking:

If [tex]\iint dS[/tex] is the surface area of a level surface, S, and [tex]\iiint dV[/tex] is the volume of an enclosed solid, V, shouldn't [tex]\int df[/tex] be the arclength of a function f(x)?

Lets say that our surface is given implicitly by [tex]\Phi[/tex]
    For the surface area we get:
    [tex]\iint dS[/tex] = [tex]\int_{y_0}^{y_1}\int_{x_0}^{x_1}|\nabla\Phi|dxdy[/tex]
    where [tex]|\nabla\Phi|[/tex] is the Jacobian determinant.

Now if we define function f implicitly by [tex]\alpha[/tex]
    [tex]\int df[/tex] = [tex]\int_{x_0}^{x_1} |\nabla \alpha| dx[/tex]

Arclength is usually given by [tex]\int_{x_0}^{x_1} \sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2} dx[/tex].

This works out the same;
    say our function is y=f(x) then [tex]\alpha=y-f(x)[/tex],
    [tex]\nabla\alpha=(-f'(x),1,0)[/tex] whose modulus is exactly [tex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2}[/tex]

Is this correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why should it? A surface has an area and a solid has a volume: both are geometric figures. A function is not a geometric figure and does not have an "arclength". If you meant "shouldn't [itex]\int d\sigma[/itex] be the arclength of the curve [itex]\sigma[/itex]", then the answer is "yes, of course".

?? if y= f(x), then [itex]\alpha= y- f(x)[/itex] is identically 0 and so [itex]\nabla\alpha= 0[/itex].
  4. May 22, 2008 #3
    Sorry about my fumble, [tex]\alpha[/tex] is an implicit function for the curve, similar to how [tex]\Phi[/tex] is an implicit function for a surface. We let [tex]\alpha[/tex] or [tex]\Phi[/tex] be equal to a constant and it kicks out a curve or surface respectively.

I was using a process analogous to:
    let [tex]\Phi=z-z(x,y)[/tex] so [tex]|\nabla \Phi|=\sqrt{1+z_x^2+z_y^2}[/tex] which is the jacobian determinant for an explicit surface. I do see your point regarding the fact that [tex]\Phi[/tex] is identically zero.

I should have called f a curve in the beginning, I must learn to be more precise.

Edit: Indeed I have put the cart before the horse, the trick is to define [tex]\Phi=z(x,y)-z[/tex] so that [tex]\Phi=0[/tex] is the level surface z=z(x,y). The rest follows from there. Similarly for the implicit curve [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Thank you for pointing out my error :smile:
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?