Arctan Identity: Solving t_0 for z=0

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving the dependent variable t and independent variable z, both of which are constants. The book then provides a simplified version of the equation at z = 0, using a half-angle identity. The conversation also mentions the use of a right triangle to simplify trigonometric functions.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've encountered an equation in my textbook where a formula for t is given:

[tex] t = \frac{2}{3H_0 \Omega_{\lambda}^{1/2}} \ln \left( \frac{1 + \cos \theta}{\sin \theta} \right ) [/tex]​

where,

[tex] \tan \theta = \left( \frac{\Omega_0}{\Omega_{\lambda}}\right)^{1/2} (1 + z)^{3/2} [/tex]​

So, basically, t is the dependent variable, z is the independent variable, and [itex] H_0, \Omega_0, \Omega_{\lambda} [/itex] are all constants. The book then goes on to say that at z = 0, t becomes:

[tex] t_0 = \frac{2}{3H_0 \Omega_{\lambda}^{1/2}} \ln \left( \frac{1 + \Omega_{\lambda}^{1/2}}{(1 - \Omega_{\lambda})^{1/2}} \right ) [/tex]​

Now, when I naively substitute z = 0 into the equation for theta, and then substitute that into the equation for t, obviously I get a couple of terms involving the sine and the cosine of the arctan...etc. I have no idea how they simplified that in order to eliminate the trigonometric functions entirely. Is there an identity that was used?

It may, (or may not) help that in this instance, it is true that [itex] \Omega_0 + \Omega_{\lambda} = 1 [/itex] (yes, the universe is flat, for those who are aware of the context :wink:).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That looks like one of the half-angle identities.

Without that... well, you can simplify cos(arctan(z)) without much trouble -- just draw the triangle.

Right, of course. I feel silly now. If:

[tex]
\tan \theta(z=0) = \left( \frac{\Omega_0}{\Omega_{\lambda}}\right)^{1/2}
[/tex]

Then theta is the angle in a right triangle whose opposite side is [itex] \Omega_0^{1/2} [/itex] and whose adjacent side is [itex] \Omega_{\lambda}^{1/2} [/itex] and whose hypotenuse is [itex]\Omega_0 + \Omega_{\lambda} = 1 [/itex]However, I don't see how you can use the half-angle formula. Oh well, whatever. It's late, and I'm tired...

What is an "Arctan Identity"?

An "Arctan Identity" is a mathematical formula that relates the arctangent function (arctan) to other trigonometric functions. Specifically, it relates the arctan function to the sine and cosine functions.

How is "t_0" solved for when z=0 in an Arctan Identity?

To solve for t_0 when z=0 in an Arctan Identity, we use the inverse function of the arctan function, which is the tangent function. We set the expression equal to t_0 and solve for the unknown variable using algebraic techniques.

What is the significance of solving for t_0 when z=0 in an Arctan Identity?

When we solve for t_0 when z=0 in an Arctan Identity, we are finding the value of t_0 that makes the equation true. This value is important because it represents the point at which the tangent line to the graph of the arctan function intersects the x-axis.

What is the practical application of the Arctan Identity?

The Arctan Identity is useful in solving trigonometric equations and in graphing trigonometric functions. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics and signal processing.

Are there any limitations to using the Arctan Identity?

Like any mathematical formula, the Arctan Identity has its limitations. It is only applicable to certain types of equations and may not always provide an exact solution. It is important to understand the assumptions and restrictions of the identity when using it in various applications.