Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are all cranks male?

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    I just made a curious remark: All people who believe they have personal unification theories and so on, are male. Is there not female cranks at all?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow. I've never even noticed that, and I'm a woman!

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3
    most women don't want to 'make a mark' as an odd duck, or take the chance of being disliked----but things have changed---the more women get degrees in odd things like theoretical physics--there'll be more cranky women--

what about Lisa Randall? (I guess only if you consider 'string theory' as a crank theory though)

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4
    Oh, there are a few cranky females. In more ways than one.
    I tried explaining my interest in astronomy to my girlfriend and she told me she was a Gemini. Is astrology a crank theory?

6. Aug 10, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but with a scent of patchouli.

7. Aug 10, 2008 #6
    Oh yeah, there is lot of women interested in astrology and paranormal phenomena...... I was thinking about more like these personal physics theories. It depends little on what we mean by "a crank".

8. Aug 10, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think there are plenty of female cranks out there. They are just more invested in mysticism rather than cranky physics.

9. Aug 10, 2008 #8
    "HEY!! Whats your Sign?" asked the blond girl wearing a tank top and really tight jeans.

10. Aug 10, 2008 #9
    most women I know want to believe in the 'magic' of ........!

I think its part of the 'shiny knight'/'happily ever after' / 'if only...' syndrome

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  11. Aug 10, 2008 #10
    I wouldn't say they believe in it, they wish it was true. but with comments like that you've shown why they don't believe in it.

12. Aug 10, 2008 #11
    With the few intellectual females that i've known (in person), most do seem to be more interested in mysticism rather than physics. Primarily those who would consider themselves Wiccans.

13. Aug 10, 2008 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's because females are never wrong.

14. Aug 10, 2008 #13
    well said.:biggrin:

15. Aug 10, 2008 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, it was the famed Ms. Lucie Irigaray who said that Newton's "principia" was a rape manual.

She also said that it was the phallocentrism of males which explained why structural mechanics was so more successful than fluid mechanics, because the latter had more affinity with the female principle of menstruation..

16. Aug 10, 2008 #15
    Isn't this about postmodern social constructionism? Is it appropriate to call it pseudoscience or crackpottery?

I've read an article by Dawkins, and I think he mentioned this Irigaray, although I don't remember for sure and I cannot find the article now. (It's the fluid mechanics argument that I feel like remembering... :rolleyes:)

17. Aug 10, 2008 #16
    mhmhmhmhmhmhm..... I've never tried to decide what postmodern social constructionism really is. I've always somehow thought that pseudoscience must be outside the academic world. And that something that is inside academic world would be at most cargo cult science.

btw, (an off-topic question (I'm the original poster, I have right to go off-topic)) is there clear difference between pseudoscience and cargo cult science?

18. Aug 10, 2008 #17
    i asked my wife why men were rational beings who understand science while women were irrational crackpots that believe in mysticism. She turned me into a toad.

19. Aug 10, 2008 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Probably, it is his review "Postmodernism Disrobed" of Alan Sokal's "Intellectual Impostures":
    http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins...eviews/1998-07-09postmodernism_disrobed.shtml

20. Aug 10, 2008 #19
    Congratulations.

21. Aug 10, 2008 #20
    what's a 'wish'?----(isn't that part of the magic thing that someone wants/believes will happen?)

Ever notice how many more TV shows/movies there are where the lead character is the woman with some sort of mystical, paranormal powers? I think women, (and yes of course it's a generalization) tend to believe more in magic due to the (now disappearing) perception that if they had a little more 'power' --'things' would be better---

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?