Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are Biologists Mostly Atheists?

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    Just wondering.... I know a couple who are but I don't want to make a generalization.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

I would say the majority of bilogists on PF are athiests

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    i wonder if that applies to physicists, psychologists and chemists and any interdisplinary field among the 4.

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure they are in direct disagreement with any major religion there is today, perhaps with minor exceptions pertaining to the values rather than believes. Lets face it folks - there is no such thing as hell or heaven. Or maybe there is - but who cares, really? There seems to be no logic for life itself - that is there doesnt seem to be any purpose for existence, so why should there be purpose for afterlife?

These things coupled with extremely humbling complexity of life are all too confusing for any mind. I'll even go so far as to say for any normal mind. Perhaps there is something to the "hallucinations" some drug ab/users experience - after all, those are chemicals, and we are made of similar chemicals. Who has a right to claim its not real or that it isnt credible?

6. Sep 21, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not necessarily, I know biology professors who go to church every sunday. Their believes do not interfere with the work they do everyday.

7. Sep 21, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What does biology have to do with religion?

I doubt they've wasted their time and gone out and polled everyone who refers to themselves as a "biologist" to see if they are religious. Since there's no correlation... its bad statistics.

8. Sep 21, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

Biology has pretty much everything to do with religion.

9. Sep 21, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Among scientists, the percentage of biologists professing themselves to be religious is lower than, say, among physicists and mathematicians.

This has been shown in several studies, although I'm not in a habit to store links to such studies.

10. Sep 21, 2005 #9
    I remember a survey from Nature probably, oh, seven or eight years ago now that said the majority of biologists were either agnostic or atheist. I don't remember the exact number.

All biologists believe in evolution, if that's what you're getting at.

11. Sep 21, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know quite a few biologists who are religious...Jewish, Christian or Muslim. I don't know any who are members of churches that preach against believing in evolution though, if that's what you think the conflict is.

12. Sep 21, 2005 #11

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I know I saw some recent poll numbers on this very question. Now if only I can find it again. For now, I have this news bit from NSCE regarding the recent NY Times articles...

Also, this...
    http://www.beliefnet.org/story/1/story_193_1.html
    ...which seems to indicate that 60-70% of biologists are agnostic or atheist.

13. Sep 21, 2005 #12
    Well, I think it's OK to believe in something and have some faith, but if you are a biologist and don't believe in evolution thinking "intelligent design" is true, then you shouldn't be a biologist. Simple as that.

14. Sep 21, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Think you might want to go learn what religion actually is then...

15. Sep 21, 2005 #14
    I higly doubt the correlation is high in physicists, and psychologists, but biologists are defintely the top, then perhaps chemists.

16. Sep 21, 2005 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

Biology is the study of the subject at hand which happens to study object in question. Any questions? k thx come again

17. Sep 22, 2005 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think again. You can believe in a god and evolution at the same time. The question is not whether biologists believe in Adam and Eve, the question is whether they believe in a higher power.

18. Sep 22, 2005 #17

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well no, Monique, the question is whether they think that actions by that higher power are necessary to the development of species, and that that necessity can be proved. That's what ID claims. But ID has been debunked, so a biologist, however devout, shouldn't be supporting it.

19. Sep 22, 2005 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe god made man out of monkeys, no one can prove that there is no god so why can't a biologist believe in one. ID stands separate from the discussion of believing in a god or being an atheist.

People who believe in evolution aren't per definition atheist, are they?

20. Sep 22, 2005 #19
    I believe god is the personification of the universe. Since I believe the universe exists, I believe god exists. Simple as that.

21. Sep 23, 2005 #20
    i think generally alot of scientists believe in their own style of religion, rather than being a follower to a church or something, like Einstein...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?