Are Biologists Mostly Atheists?

Just wondering.... I know a couple who are but I don't want to make a generalization.

JamesU

Gold Member
I would say the majority of bilogists on PF are athiests

i wonder if that applies to physicists, psychologists and chemists and any interdisplinary field among the 4.

cronxeh

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure they are in direct disagreement with any major religion there is today, perhaps with minor exceptions pertaining to the values rather than believes. Lets face it folks - there is no such thing as hell or heaven. Or maybe there is - but who cares, really? There seems to be no logic for life itself - that is there doesnt seem to be any purpose for existence, so why should there be purpose for afterlife?

These things coupled with extremely humbling complexity of life are all too confusing for any mind. I'll even go so far as to say for any normal mind. Perhaps there is something to the "hallucinations" some drug ab/users experience - after all, those are chemicals, and we are made of similar chemicals. Who has a right to claim its not real or that it isnt credible?

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MikeX said:
Just wondering.... I know a couple who are but I don't want to make a generalization.
Not necessarily, I know biology professors who go to church every sunday. Their believes do not interfere with the work they do everyday.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
What does biology have to do with religion?

I doubt they've wasted their time and gone out and polled everyone who refers to themselves as a "biologist" to see if they are religious. Since there's no correlation... its bad statistics.

cronxeh

Gold Member
Biology has pretty much everything to do with religion.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Among scientists, the percentage of biologists professing themselves to be religious is lower than, say, among physicists and mathematicians.

This has been shown in several studies, although I'm not in a habit to store links to such studies.

I remember a survey from Nature probably, oh, seven or eight years ago now that said the majority of biologists were either agnostic or atheist. I don't remember the exact number.

All biologists believe in evolution, if that's what you're getting at.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I know quite a few biologists who are religious...Jewish, Christian or Muslim. I don't know any who are members of churches that preach against believing in evolution though, if that's what you think the conflict is.

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm...I know I saw some recent poll numbers on this very question. Now if only I can find it again. For now, I have this news bit from NSCE regarding the recent NY Times articles...

Earlier in the article, Dean observed, "disdain for religion is far
From universal among scientists," and later cited the results of Edward J. Larson and Larry Witham's 1996 survey among natural scientists as to their beliefs in God and immortality, with 39.6% of respondents agreeing with "I believe in a God in intellectual and affective communication with mankind, i.e., a God to whom one may pray in expectation of receiving an answer" (and about 45.5% disagreeing and 14.9% expressing agnosticism). According to Witham's Where Darwin Meets the Bible (Oxford University Press, 2002), 42.5% of the responding biologists agreed, 43.5% disagreed, and 14% expressed agnosticism.
Also, this...
http://www.beliefnet.org/story/1/story_193_1.html
...which seems to indicate that 60-70% of biologists are agnostic or atheist.

Well, I think it's OK to believe in something and have some faith, but if you are a biologist and don't believe in evolution thinking "intelligent design" is true, then you shouldn't be a biologist. Simple as that.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
cronxeh said:
Biology has pretty much everything to do with religion.
Think you might want to go learn what religion actually is then...

neurocomp2003 said:
i wonder if that applies to physicists, psychologists and chemists and any interdisplinary field among the 4.
I higly doubt the correlation is high in physicists, and psychologists, but biologists are defintely the top, then perhaps chemists.

cronxeh

Gold Member
Biology is the study of the subject at hand which happens to study object in question. Any questions? k thx come again

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MikeX said:
if you are a biologist and don't believe in evolution thinking "intelligent design" is true, then you shouldn't be a biologist. Simple as that.
Think again. You can believe in a god and evolution at the same time. The question is not whether biologists believe in Adam and Eve, the question is whether they believe in a higher power.

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Monique said:
Think again. You can believe in a god and evolution at the same time. The question is not whether biologists believe in Adam and Eve, the question is whether they believe in a higher power.
Well no, Monique, the question is whether they think that actions by that higher power are necessary to the development of species, and that that necessity can be proved. That's what ID claims. But ID has been debunked, so a biologist, however devout, shouldn't be supporting it.

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maybe god made man out of monkeys, no one can prove that there is no god so why can't a biologist believe in one. ID stands separate from the discussion of believing in a god or being an atheist.

People who believe in evolution aren't per definition atheist, are they?

I believe god is the personification of the universe. Since I believe the universe exists, I believe god exists. Simple as that.

i think generally alot of scientists believe in their own style of religion, rather than being a follower to a church or something, like Einstein...

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving