Are dark matter and dark energy caused by same phenomenon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of particles in empty space being responsible for both gravity and the expansion of space. However, the idea is deemed unlikely and not in line with current scientific understanding. The conversation ends with a reminder to follow forum guidelines.
Buster59
TL;DR Summary
After watching a two-part program Everything/Nothing, a thought occurred to me when the discussion turned to particles popping in and out of 'empty' space.
After watching a two-part program Everything/Nothing, a thought occurred to me when the discussion turned to particles popping in and out of 'empty' space. Could these particles be numerous enough in the vast space between stars to be responsible for the gravity holding stars together in galaxies and at the same time be responsible for the expansion of space? They have mass, which would explain the extra gravity if enough of these particles are present at any given time. Particles need space to exist, but by popping into our space, do they cause an expansion of it upon entering that doesn't contract as they exit for some unknown reason? That would explain the expansion of space.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Buster59 said:
Summary: After watching a two-part program Everything/Nothing, a thought occurred to me when the discussion turned to particles popping in and out of 'empty' space.

After watching a two-part program Everything/Nothing, a thought occurred to me when the discussion turned to particles popping in and out of 'empty' space. Could these particles be numerous enough in the vast space between stars to be responsible for the gravity holding stars together in galaxies and at the same time be responsible for the expansion of space? They have mass, which would explain the extra gravity if enough of these particles are present at any given time. Particles need space to exist, but by popping into our space, do they cause an expansion of it upon entering that doesn't contract as they exit for some unknown reason? That would explain the expansion of space.
Dark energy and dark matter are completely unrelated.

I thought so until that popped into my head. What if I'm on the right track? There's a lot we don't know about reality.

You are not on the right track. Yes, there are things nobody knows. No, you are not going to solve those issues after watching a popular scientific account.

Likes weirdoguy

1. What is dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two types of mysterious substances that make up about 95% of the total mass-energy of the universe. They cannot be directly observed or detected by any known means, but their existence is inferred through their gravitational effects on visible matter and light.

2. Are dark matter and dark energy caused by the same phenomenon?

This is currently a topic of debate and ongoing research in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that they are both caused by the same phenomenon, while others propose that they are separate entities with different origins.

3. What evidence supports the idea that dark matter and dark energy are caused by the same phenomenon?

One piece of evidence is the fact that both dark matter and dark energy have a gravitational effect on visible matter and light. This suggests that they both have mass and therefore could potentially be caused by the same underlying phenomenon.

4. What are some possible explanations for the origin of dark matter and dark energy?

Some theories propose that dark matter is made up of as-yet-undiscovered particles, such as weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs) or axions. As for dark energy, some theories suggest that it could be related to the vacuum energy of empty space or a new type of energy field.

5. How does understanding dark matter and dark energy impact our understanding of the universe?

Studying dark matter and dark energy is crucial for understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. Their presence and effects play a significant role in the formation of galaxies and the expansion of the universe. By understanding these mysterious substances, we can gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe.