Are differential angles vectors?

In summary, "little angles" are not vectors, but in infinitesimal rotations they can have a direction along the axis of rotation. This leads to the concept of an axial vector, which can be used to describe infinitesimal rotations. However, this is not true for finite angular displacements, as they do not obey the rule of vector addition. Angular velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the time rate of change of angles and is necessary for the right hand rule to work.
physics user1
Because on the book it is said that little angles are vectors but my question is:
Are they vectors at all or they are scalar and we assign them a direction by multiplying them by a versor? The same for angular velocity, is it a vector at all or we made it a vector for making the right hand rule work?

Physics news on Phys.org
A scalar has magnitude only, such as temperatures at different points in a room.

A vector has not only magnitude but direction, say the flow of water during the draining of a bath tub.

So if I want to give you directions from you to me, saying I am five miles away [magnitude] is not enough; I need to tell you 'fives miles away to the west' , for example, using a compass as the scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector

Cozma Alex said:
Because on the book it is said that little angles are vectors but my question is:
Are they vectors at all or they are scalar and we assign them a direction by multiplying them by a versor? The same for angular velocity, is it a vector at all or we made it a vector for making the right hand rule work?
finite angular displacements are not vectors as they do not obey the the rule that A + B = B+ A ,
but in infinitesimal rotations the displacements can have a direction along the axis of rotations - clockwise/anticlockwise rotation can have two directions
and the time rate of change of angles do provide a vector called angular velocity- no doubt the rotations in general can have three components like the normal vectors or generalized rotations...

Cozma Alex said:
it is said that little angles are vectors

unlikely. best to give actual quotes so we know what your reference is.

'Little angles' are angles, not vectors, right? For one thing an angle is usually not referenced to a coordinate frame of reference, like a graph plot. Vectors have direction because they have a specific direction with respect to a frame.

I don't know, what you mean by "little vectors", but an infinitesimal rotation can be written in terms of an axial vector ##\delta \vec{\varphi}##:
$$\delta \vec{V}=\delta \vec{\varphi} \times \vec{V}.$$
To see this look at a rotation around an axis ##\vec{n}## (right-hand rule!) with an angle ##\phi##. If you take the ##z## axis of a Cartesian righthanded coordinate system then it's described by the matrix
$$\hat{D}=\hat{D}_{\vec{n}}(\varphi)=\begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi & -\sin \varphi &0 \\
\sin \varphi & \cos \varphi & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix},$$
i.e.,
$$\hat{D} \vec{V}=V_z \vec{e}_z + \cos \varphi (V_x \vec{e}_x + V_y \vec{e}_y)+\sin \varphi (-V_y \vec{e}_x+V_x \vec{e}_y).$$
On the other hand we have
$$\vec{e}_z \times \vec{V}=\vec{n} \times \vec{V}=-V_y \vec{e}_x+ V_x \vec{e}_y, \quad \vec{n} \times (\vec{n} \times \vec{V}) = -V_x \vec{e}_x-V_y \vec{e}_y,$$
from which we find
$$\hat{D} \vec{V}=\vec{n} (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{V})-\cos \varphi \vec{n} \times (\vec{n} \times \vec{V}) + \sin \varphi \vec{n} \times \vec{V}.$$
For a small angle ##\delta \varphi## this implies
$$\hat{D} \vec{V}=\vec{n} (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{V}) - \vec{n} \times (\vec{n} \times \vec{V}) +\delta \varphi \vec{n} \times \vec{V} + \mathcal{O}(\delta \varphi^2).$$
Now we have
$$\vec{n} \times (\vec{n} \times \vec{V}) =\vec{n} (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{V})-\vec{V} (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{n}) = \vec{n} (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{V})-\vec{V}$$
and thus finally
$$\hat{D} \vec{V}=\vec{V} +\delta \varphi \vec{n} \times \vec{V} + \mathcal{O}(\delta \varphi^2).$$

1. What is the difference between differential angles and regular angles?

The main difference between differential angles and regular angles is that differential angles are measured in radians while regular angles are measured in degrees. This means that differential angles are a measure of the ratio of the arc length to the radius of a circle, while regular angles are a measure of the rotation around a point.

2. Can differential angles be negative?

Yes, differential angles can be negative. This occurs when the angle is measured in a clockwise direction, as opposed to the standard counterclockwise direction. In this case, the angle is given a negative value to indicate its direction.

3. Are differential angles considered vectors?

No, differential angles are not considered vectors. Vectors have both magnitude and direction, while differential angles only have magnitude. Additionally, vectors can be added or subtracted, while differential angles cannot.

4. How are differential angles used in mathematics?

Differential angles are used in mathematics to represent the rate of change between two points on a curve or surface. They are an important concept in calculus, as they are used to calculate derivatives and integrals.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential angles?

Differential angles have many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate the slope of a road or ramp, the trajectory of a projectile, and the rotation of planets and stars.