Are galaxies part of constellations?

In summary, galaxies are not part of constellations. Constellations are groups of stars that form recognizable patterns in the sky, while galaxies are vast collections of stars, gas, and dust held together by gravity. While some constellations may contain galaxies within their borders, they are not officially recognized as part of the constellation. Galaxies are much larger and more complex structures than constellations, and their positions in the sky can change relative to the Earth. Therefore, while constellations can serve as a guide for locating certain galaxies, they are not considered part of the same celestial grouping.
wutronic
reading up on the local group and in the wiki it says galaxies have constellations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Group

does this mean they are just in that area, or they are visible from Earth as part of the constellation? I thought Andromida and possibly only Canis major dwarf were visible from earth?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Technically, all the galaxies we know about are visible to us.

There are a number of galaxies visible to the naked eye ... here is a list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_galaxies#Naked-eye_galaxies

Other galaxies are visible using telescopes of one kind or another.

On the page you link to, the entry headed "constellation" refers to the constellation that the galaxy appears in.
It's a handy note to help astronomers find it. For instance, the center of the Milky Way is in the direction of the constellation of Sagittarius.

Note: technically a constellation is a region of the sky ... so galaxies are not part of the constellation but they can be found within it's boundaries.
http://www.iau.org/public/themes/constellations/

hi there
welcome to PF :smile:
wutronic said:
reading up on the local group and in the wiki it says galaxies have constellations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Group

I didn't see that written anywhere in that link

do you know what a constellation is ?
when you discover that using google, you will then know the answer to your question

wutronic said:
does this mean they are just in that area, or they are visible from Earth as part of the constellation?

now you are changing tact and getting to the real meaning
I still want you to google what is a constellation

Galaxies are visible all over the sky, some are bright and easily seen in a small telescope
lots are very faint and require a larger scope to see them
100's of millions of them are extremely faint and require the biggest telescopes to see them

There are only 4 galaxies easily visible with the naked eye ... our Milky Way galaxy, the LMC and SMC ( satellite galaxies to the Milky Way)
and the Andromeda Galaxy

There seems to be a lot of argument over if the so called Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy is really a galaxy

Dave

davenn said:
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

I didn't see that written anywhere in that link

do you know what a constellation is ?
when you discover that using google, you will then know the answer to your question
now you are changing tact and getting to the real meaning
I still want you to google what is a constellation

Galaxies are visible all over the sky, some are bright and easily seen in a small telescope
lots are very faint and require a larger scope to see them
100's of millions of them are extremely faint and require the biggest telescopes to see them

There are only 4 galaxies easily visible with the naked eye ... our Milky Way galaxy, the LMC and SMC ( satellite galaxies to the Milky Way)
and the Andromeda Galaxy

There seems to be a lot of argument over if the so called Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy is really a galaxy

Dave

Thanks for the reply :) Yeah I have, and I read all about it. However, a lot of constellations were named and observed long before telescopes so I wasn't sure if some galaxies appeared as blobs or what looked like stars. Also, I am not sure that LMC and SMC are visible by naked eye after reading about it, seems only parts of our Milky Way and andromeda are visible, no?

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Technically, all the galaxies we know about are visible to us.

There are a number of galaxies visible to the naked eye ... here is a list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_galaxies#Naked-eye_galaxies

Other galaxies are visible using telescopes of one kind or another.

On the page you link to, the entry headed "constellation" refers to the constellation that the galaxy appears in.
It's a handy note to help astronomers find it. For instance, the center of the Milky Way is in the direction of the constellation of Sagittarius.

Note: technically a constellation is a region of the sky ... so galaxies are not part of the constellation but they can be found within it's boundaries.
http://www.iau.org/public/themes/constellations/

ah, this makes sense. Thanks!

Likes Simon Bridge
wutronic said:
...a lot of constellations were named and observed long before telescopes so I wasn't sure if some galaxies appeared as blobs or what looked like stars.
The Andromeda Galaxy used to be called "The Great Andromeda Nebula".

Note:
"Andromeda" is the constellation (or the daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia.). You can usually tell which is meant by context, but you should be aware of the distinction.

wutronic said:
Also, I am not sure that LMC and SMC are visible by naked eye after reading about it, seems only parts of our Milky Way and andromeda are visible, no?

incorrect ... the large and small clouds of Magellan are very easily visible with naked eye :smile:

Dave

Likes Simon Bridge
davenn said:
incorrect ... the large and small clouds of Magellan are very easily visible with naked eye :smile:

Dave
At least, that's how they appeared to Magellan, but these were visible to the Polynesians and others (including Magellan) long before the invention of the telescope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellanic_Clouds

Likes davenn

1. What is the difference between a galaxy and a constellation?

A galaxy is a large collection of stars, gas, and dust held together by gravity. A constellation is a group of stars that form a recognizable pattern in the sky.

2. Are all galaxies part of constellations?

No, not all galaxies are part of constellations. Constellations are based on the perspective from Earth and do not reflect the actual distribution of galaxies in the universe.

3. Can you see galaxies within constellations?

Yes, you can see galaxies within constellations. Many galaxies are visible to the naked eye, while others can only be seen with the help of telescopes or other instruments.

4. How are constellations and galaxies related?

Constellations and galaxies are not directly related. Constellations are patterns formed by stars as seen from Earth, while galaxies are vast systems of stars, gas, and dust in space.

5. Do all constellations contain galaxies?

No, not all constellations contain galaxies. Some constellations, such as Orion, do contain galaxies within their borders, while others, like Ursa Major, do not. The presence of galaxies within a constellation is purely coincidental.