Are Humans Civilized Intrinsically?

• Thread starter TheUmer
  • Start date
In summary, the common perception is that due to constant evolutionary process, human beings are becoming more and more civilized gradually. However, this is not always the case as a lack of certain needs can lead to a decrease in civilization.
TheUmer
The common perception is that due to constant evolutionary process, human beings are becoming more and more civilized gradually. Is this really so?

The question is: Can human beings remain civilized when their basic physiological and psychological needs remain unfulfilled? Like hunger, freedom, sex and protection etc.

Another question is, which may be considered the part of question 1: What is exactly meant by a 'normal' human?

Physics news on Phys.org
Humans aren't becoming more civilized, it is just that the higher our capacity for logical and rational thinking the easier it is to ignore our base emotions and instincts. So I think if evolution leads us to having larger frontal lobes, then our societies as a whole will be more 'civilized'.

Can we remain civilized in extreme situations? Well, certainly. However hunger and the like are very powerful mechanisms and when it comes to life or death, instincts would normally win out...

Your last question really depends on how you would define the word normal and what parameters you would use to measure it. This question is really open to interpretation.

Your last question really depends on how you would define the word normal and what parameters you would use to measure it. This question is really open to interpretation.

Yeah that's what I actually want, i.e to have as many views and interpretations of 'normality' as possible.

Well ok, I think you can break it down into two variables, whose combinations would give an equation:

Variable 1: Parameters of Measurement
i.e. personality types, social view points, religious standings, political views, brain organization, intelligence, types of intelligence, ect...

Variable 2: Method of Measurement
i.e. average, median, statistical analysis, ect...

So that many pairings of V1 with V2 are possible, yet each gives an approximation.

TheUmer said:
The common perception is that due to constant evolutionary process, human beings are becoming more and more civilized gradually. Is this really so?

The question is: Can human beings remain civilized when their basic physiological and psychological needs remain unfulfilled? Like hunger, freedom, sex and protection etc.

Another question is, which may be considered the part of question 1: What is exactly meant by a 'normal' human?
You need to define what you mean by "civilized". It means something different to everyone.

Please post you definition or the thread will be locked.

Watch the movie, "One flew over the cuckoos next". A good indication between the boundaries of insanity and being "normal".

bassplayer142 said:
Watch the movie, "One flew over the cuckoos next". A good indication between the boundaries of insanity and being "normal".
The movie was cr@p compared to the book. The book was not like the movie.

Last edited:
Is the book really good?

bassplayer142 said:
Is the book really good?
The book is excellent. Much better than the movie.

Are you actually asking about humans or about people. Humans are elements of an abstract and distant group viewed from afar. People are like the people you know a bit better. The point being, there's no reason to talk about humans. They aren't people.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, but I was busy.

You need to define what you mean by "civilized". It means something different to everyone.

Alright, let's first try to agree on the definition or at least the concept of civilization and civilized humans.

Civilization may be defined as a society of human beings living according to, more or less, defined pattern or social, cultural and possible religious doctrines. And people who do lead their lives according to this set pattern would be considered in the circle of civilized beings.

Here, by the social and cultural patterns I mean the generally accepted ones in our modern world. That won't include the cultures of pirates or savages etc. (For they also do have culture)

I hope that gives at least a bit of concept and I would like people to add more in this.

Now we are generally considered to be living in a civilized world and humans beings in our world civilized. My question is: Are we intrinsically civilized? Even when our very basic needs are not fulfilled?

These are my point to point opinions on the matter;

Hunger, no I don't think many would remain "civilized" and calm after lacking food for a long time.

Freedom, yes, in the short run atleast, people do quite well under command.

Sex, obviously yes, :-p.

Protection, I'm not certain what you mean here. Protection against uncivilized "things" maybe?

A lack of a combination of these I think makes things much worse. I mean there was a buddhist monk who set himself on fire in protest against the vietnam war, his needs of survival obviously not being fulfilled he didn't move, so he was "civilized" (as far as that concept goes for a person on fire) whilst not having one of the most basic needs fulfilled.

Perhaps I'm dodging your question about humans being intrinsically civilized, I'll have to come back to you later.

TheUmer said:
Alright, let's first try to agree on the definition or at least the concept of civilization and civilized humans. Civilization may be defined as a society of human beings living according to, more or less, defined pattern or social, cultural and possible religious doctrines. And people who do lead their lives according to this set pattern would be considered in the circle of civilized beings. Here, by the social and cultural patterns I mean the generally accepted ones in our modern world. That won't include the cultures of pirates or savages etc. (For they also do have culture)

Dolphins are kind of like this as well. I've never heard of a rogue dolphin that goes around attacking other dolphins and people in lethal ways. And they're kind of friendly and social...civilised. The only thing is that they haven't got arms and legs.

Humans aren't civilised intrinsically. There are all kinds of people in the world, and not all of them are 'civilised'...so we can't even begin to include the word 'intrinsically' here, because not all humans are civilised anyway.

quiz: Where does the western concept of 'civilized' come from and how does it persist today considered as superior to uncivilized.

Greek/Roman civilisation as opposed to the barbarians.

Related to Are Humans Civilized Intrinsically?

1. Are humans inherently good or bad?

There is no consensus among scientists about whether humans are inherently good or bad. Some argue that humans have a natural tendency towards cooperation and altruism, while others believe that our evolutionary history has also shaped us to be competitive and selfish. Ultimately, the answer may vary depending on individual perspectives and cultural beliefs.

2. Can humans exist without civilization?

It is debatable whether humans can exist without some form of civilization. While it is possible for individuals or small groups to survive in isolation, the development of language, culture, and complex social structures are all considered part of civilization. These elements are essential for human survival, so it is unlikely that we could exist without them in the long term.

3. What factors contribute to human civilization?

There are many factors that contribute to human civilization, including communication, cooperation, agriculture, technology, and social organization. The ability to communicate and cooperate with one another is crucial for the development of complex societies. Agriculture allowed humans to settle in one place and form larger communities, while technology has greatly improved our quality of life. Social organization, such as laws and government, also play a significant role in shaping human civilization.

4. How has civilization changed over time?

Civilization has changed dramatically over time, with different societies evolving at different rates and in different ways. Some of the key changes include the transition from hunter-gatherer societies to agricultural societies, the development of written language, the rise and fall of empires, and the Industrial Revolution. Technological advancements, such as the invention of the printing press and the internet, have also greatly impacted the way we live and interact with one another.

5. Is civilization a positive or negative aspect of human existence?

Again, there is no clear answer to this question. Civilization has brought many benefits to humans, such as improved standards of living, advancements in science and technology, and a sense of community. However, it has also led to issues such as inequality, pollution, and conflict. Some may argue that civilization is a necessary and positive aspect of human existence, while others may view it as a negative force that has caused harm to both humans and the environment.