Are Moment Arm & Common Perpendicular Different?

In summary: Moment Arm is always shorter than the Common Perpendicular.In summary, the difference between Process 1 and 3 is that in Process 1 the division is by |DA||CB|, while in Process 3 the division is by |DAxCB|. This difference causes the force to be orthogonal to BC in Process 1 but not in Process 3.
Diptangshu
New Doc 2017-05-19_1.jpg
New Doc 2017-05-19_2.jpg
Not only the Problem I have attached in Picture, but there are few more where I get different answer while solving by taking Moment Component and by Common Perpendicular.

[NB : The problem Stated in 'Engineering Mechanics' by Ferdinand L. Singer. Process 3 is what I did, Process 1 is what is done in the Book & Process 2 is done for Verification by me]
It is clear that the Book is correct, but I cannot find out why my answer [Process 3] is not Matching.

No book can Clarify the Issue except a Real Teacher. I am Confused & Waiting eagerly for the Answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't found the error yet, but I see what the difference is between the two results. In process 1 there is effectively a division by |DA||CB|, where in process 3 the division is by |DAxCB|.

haruspex said:
I haven't found the error yet, but I see what the difference is between the two results. In process 1 there is effectively a division by |DA||CB|, where in process 3 the division is by |DAxCB|.
Yes, me too discovered the same ratio. And according to magnitude laws... Moment Arm is always shorter than Common Perpendicular.
But they should have been the Same! Very Intriguing.

Diptangshu said:
Moment Arm is always shorter than Common Perpendicular.
Doh! That's it.
If you view the system along the line of the perpendicular distance, the force does not appear quite orthogonal to BC. You have to restrict to the component that is.

haruspex said:
Yes, me too discovered the same ratio. And according to magnitude laws... Moment Arm is always shorter than Common Perpendicular.
But they should have been the Same! Very Intriguing.
haruspex said:
Doh! That's it.
If you view the system along the line of the perpendicular distance, the force does not appear quite orthogonal to BC. You have to restrict to the component that is.
I Think so... There is no other way to Explain it.
But it is quite hard to visualize in mind. Because common Perpendicular should have been shortest distance and hence it should be Moment arm,as in 2 Dimensional Plane. Why they don't match in 3 Dimensions... It's weird!

Diptangshu said:
common Perpendicular should have been shortest distance and hence it should be Moment arm
That certainly gives the moment about the nearest point on BC, and in a two dimensional plane that would be the answer. But here that moment would not be parallel to BC.
It might be clearer if you move B so that BC and AD are parallel. The perpendicular distance is still nonzero, but the moment about BC is zero.

haruspex said:
That certainly gives the moment about the nearest point on BC, and in a two dimensional plane that would be the answer. But here that moment would not be parallel to BC.
It might be clearer if you move B so that BC and AD are parallel. The perpendicular distance is still nonzero, but the moment about BC is zero.
Thank you.
This must be the explanation.

But this confusion is never encountered in general Engineering Mechanics course. Nowhere it is said, that the two lengths are different.
Very interesting fact is discovered here.

The factors |DA||BC| & |DA×BC|... Their physical difference is interesting.
New Doc 2017-05-21_1.jpg

Oops... for 0<Ѳ<90

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between moment arm and common perpendicular?

The main difference between moment arm and common perpendicular is that moment arm refers to the shortest distance between the line of action of a force and the axis of rotation, while common perpendicular refers to the line that is perpendicular to two intersecting lines. In other words, moment arm is a physical quantity related to the application of a force, while common perpendicular is a geometric concept.

2. How are moment arm and common perpendicular related?

Moment arm and common perpendicular are related in the sense that both involve the concept of perpendicularity. In the case of moment arm, the perpendicular distance between the line of action and the axis of rotation is used to calculate the torque, while in the case of common perpendicular, the line that is perpendicular to two intersecting lines is used to determine their point of intersection.

3. Can moment arm and common perpendicular be used interchangeably?

No, moment arm and common perpendicular cannot be used interchangeably as they represent different concepts. While moment arm is a physical quantity used to calculate torque, common perpendicular is a geometric concept used to determine the point of intersection between two lines.

4. How do moment arm and common perpendicular affect the stability of an object?

Moment arm and common perpendicular play important roles in determining the stability of an object. A longer moment arm results in a greater torque, making it more difficult for an object to rotate or topple over. On the other hand, a smaller common perpendicular distance between two intersecting lines results in a more stable structure, as there is less chance of movement or shifting between the lines.

5. Are there any real-world applications of moment arm and common perpendicular?

Yes, moment arm and common perpendicular have many real-world applications. These concepts are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and forces acting on structures and objects. For example, the design of bridges and buildings takes into consideration the moment arm and common perpendicular to ensure stability and structural integrity.