Are My Partial Derivatives Correct in Finding the Equations of Motion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Maybe_Memorie
Messages
346
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find equations of motion (eom) of a particle moving in a D-dimensional flat space with the following Lagrangian

L = (1/2)mv2i - k/ra,

r = root(x2i), m,k,a are constants

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



The equations of motion are given by d/dt(∂L/∂vi) - ∂L/∂xi = 0

So, when I work all this out I get
ma = ka/xia+1

I have a feeling this isn;t correct though.

Am I doing the partials wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're taking the partial with respect to xi incorrectly. Try writing out the potential term in terms of the xi's and differentiating.

Also why is a multiplying m? How did the exponent of r get over there?
 
vela said:
Yes, you're taking the partial with respect to xi incorrectly. Try writing out the potential term in terms of the xi's and differentiating.

Also why is a multiplying m? How did the exponent of r get over there?

U = k/ra = k/root(x2i)a
= k/xai
= kx-ai

Differentiating this with respect to xi gives -akx-a-1


As for the last part; sorry, when I wrote a on the LHS I was referring to the second derivative of xi w.r.t. time
 
Maybe_Memorie said:
U = k/ra = k/root(x2i)a
= k/xai
= kx-ai

Differentiating this with respect to xi gives -akx-a-1
How are you going from k/root(x2i)a to k/xai?

Are you saying, for instance, that [itex]\sqrt{x_1^2+x_2^2} = x_1+x_2[/itex]?

EDIT: Oh, I see why we're getting different answers. I think there's an implied summation: [tex]r=\sqrt{x_i^2} = \sqrt{x_i x_i} = \sqrt{\sum_i x_i^2}[/tex]