Are Newton's Laws of physics compatible with thermodynamics?

In summary, there is no incompatibility between Newton's laws and thermodynamics. Classical thermodynamics is based on Newton's laws and the apparent paradox is resolved by the statistical nature of thermodynamic predictions. The Gibbs paradox may provide further insight into this topic.
Thytanium
Good day friends. I want to know and ask you if Newton's laws are incompatible with thermodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thytanium said:
Good day friends. I want to know and ask you if Newton's laws are incompatible with thermodynamics.
Classical thermodynamics is built on Newton's laws.

Likes russ_watters, vanhees71 and Dale
What a question, haha! I will suggest another question to you that you can look into. How, given the time-symmetric equations of motion in both classical (Newton's physics) and quantum physics, can the arrow of time (thermodynamics) arise?

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
Thytanium said:
They are compatible. Do you have some reason for thinking they are not?

Likes russ_watters and vanhees71
Thytanium said:
I want to know and ask you if Newton's laws are incompatible with thermodynamics.
Thermodynamics can be derived from Newton's laws using the methods of statistical mechanics so they are unarguably compatible. Perhaps you are asking about the apparent incompatibility because Newton's laws are time-symmetric (there are no irreversible processes) whereas thermodynamic laws are not?

The resolution of this apparent paradox lies in the statistical nature of thermodynamic predictions.

Likes vanhees71
We could go on and guess what the OP is talking about (Gibbs paradox?) but it would be better for him to tell us.

Likes vanhees71 and Haborix
Ok. Thanks friend PeroK and Haborix and Dale and Nugatory and Vanadium 50. You have clarified all my doubts. My doubts were due to the irreversibility of thermodynamic processes as Nugatory said. I am going to research on the Gibbs paradox friend Vanadium 50. I am very grateful to all of you. Thanks for everything. Good day. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Likes weirdoguy, Dale and berkeman

1. Are Newton's Laws of physics and thermodynamics two separate theories?

No, they are not two separate theories. Newton's Laws of motion are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of objects in motion, while thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations.

2. Can Newton's Laws of physics be applied to thermodynamic systems?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be applied to thermodynamic systems. In fact, the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, is based on Newton's Law of Conservation of Energy.

3. How do Newton's Laws of physics relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time, is in accordance with Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the total force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration.

4. Are there any conflicts between Newton's Laws and the Laws of Thermodynamics?

No, there are no conflicts between these two sets of laws. In fact, they complement each other and provide a more complete understanding of the physical world.

5. Can Newton's Laws of physics be used to explain thermodynamic processes?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be used to explain thermodynamic processes. For example, the Third Law of Thermodynamics, which states that entropy approaches a constant value as the temperature approaches absolute zero, is based on Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.