Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are ordinary staples suitable for short wire links

1. Mar 19, 2010 #1
    Are ordinary staples suitable for short wire links in breadboards without there being any corrosion?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Re: Staples

Breadboards are meant more for prototyping purposes and aren't really meant to be used in wet / moist / corrosive environments. I'd bet the contacts would probably also corrode if used for any extended duration in such an environment. Well, these types are, at any rate:

Most staples will rust, but as long as it's dry, they should be conductive enough to make connections on a breadboard. Solid stranded copper hookup wire would probably be better, but then you'd need to cut and strip the ends.
  4. Mar 21, 2010 #3

Thanks for the response but the question was about the electro-chemistry between the staple and the metal in the breadboard. You know how computer peripheral cards have gold contacts to prevent this. I'm thinking the 2 metals might react and cause damage to the board.
  5. Mar 21, 2010 #4

The hookup wire is probably cheaper and easier to work with anyway, and afaik it has no corrosion issues :P

Depends what the staples and the breadboard is made from, I suppose.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook