Are Photons Massless? | Inquiry & Confusion

In summary, there are two theories regarding the mass of photons. The theorist's answer is that photons are exactly massless, as evidenced by their electric potential energy. The experimentalist's answer is that the photon's mass is most likely zero, based on our best measurements and upper bound estimates.
Kurushimi
This is just a random inquiry that's confusing me. I remember hearing at one point that the reason no object could travel at the speed of light is that an object with mass going at the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy to get moving that fast. And that photons could do it because they were massless. But, then, I also recall hearing that photons aren't truly massless...which seems contradictory to me. I can't remember my sources. Was I misinformed about one (or, perhaps both) of these?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to know too. I'm on a desparete journy to understand the difference between energy (ei light) and matter-form energy.

Yes, to the best of our knowledge photons are exactly massless, which means they travel at c (which we refer to as "the speed of light" only because photons appear to be massless).

Any massive object will have a speed that is strictly less than c no matter how much energy it has.

There are two answers to this question. The theorist's answer is "yes, the photon is massless. Were it not, the elecric potential energy of a charged particle would vary like [itex]\frac{1}{r}e^{-m_\gamma r}[/itex] instead of just [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex], among other effects." The experimentalist's answer is "probably. Our best measurements of the photon's mass are consistent with 0 and the upper bound they set is 15 or 16 orders of magnitude smaller than any other known mass."

Parlyne said:
The experimentalist's answer is "probably. Our best measurements of the photon's mass are consistent with 0 and the upper bound they set is 15 or 16 orders of magnitude smaller than any other known mass."
I would say this as "yes, to within experimental error".

1. Are photons considered to be massless particles?

Yes, photons are considered to be massless particles based on the current understanding of physics. They do not have any rest mass and travel at the speed of light, making them the only fundamental particles that are massless.

2. How can photons have energy if they have no mass?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and mass are interchangeable. Photons may not have rest mass, but they do have energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This energy is directly related to their frequency and wavelength.

3. If photons are massless, why do they experience gravitational effects?

While photons do not have rest mass, they do have momentum. According to the theory of general relativity, any object with energy and momentum will experience gravitational effects, even if it has no rest mass. This is why light can be bent by massive objects such as stars and black holes.

4. Can photons ever have mass?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that photons can have mass. However, some theories, such as quantum field theory, propose that photons may acquire a very small mass through interactions with other particles. This is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.

5. How do scientists study the mass of photons?

As photons do not have rest mass, they cannot be weighed like other particles. Instead, scientists use high-energy particle accelerators to study the properties of photons and their interactions with other particles. They also use theoretical models and experiments to measure the momentum and energy of photons, which can provide insights into their massless nature.