Are Physicists Just Like Everyone Else?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, physicists can be perceived as arrogant and narrow-minded individuals who are confident in their own beliefs. However, it is difficult to generalize their personality traits as there are different types of physicists with varying characteristics. Some may be absent-minded or eccentric, while others may be meticulous and bold. There is no specific "physics personality" and success in the field does not necessarily require a certain psychology.
Loren Booda
What personality traits have you noted among physicists? Are generalizable patterns of behavior apparent to you when participating with this profession? Do particular psychologies accompany those successful in the field?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I have noticed is that some are very narrow-minded and very self-confident when it comes to their own beliefs.

Thallium said:
What I have noticed is that some are very narrow-minded and very self-confident when it comes to their own beliefs.

Meaning that they won't roll over and play dead for any woozy new idea that comes along?

>> What personality traits have you noted among physicists?
Arrogance and feeling superior to other natural sciences would come to my mind at first.

Wow! how did physicists get such a bad rep?

Physicists are mostly white males with huge chips on their shoulders. Good thing they're too scrawny to deliver anything but academic beatings, or they'd rule the planet.

- Warren

I tend to think of physicists as.. well, not exactly absent-minded, but perpetually preoccupied by some train of thought that they need to finish working out. For example, the way Feynman had to spend two or three weeks following ants around just to try to figure them out. (something I read in "Surely You Must be Joking, Mr Feynman") From what I have heard, Einstein was known to be a little bit "spacey" too at times.

Sarcasm. (Forum specific, I suppose.)

Chaos. Disorder. Widespread panic. My work is done here.

Loren Booda said:
What personality traits have you noted among physicists?
Extremely difficult question. I've never met a physicist. All my impressions come from books about them, or from their own writings.
Are generalizable patterns of behavior apparent to you when participating with this profession?
Hmmm. There are professional physicists, and then there are famous physicists; those who have made important breakthroughs. The latter are are different animal than the former, despite both being involved in physics. People who make breakthroughs in any field are not typical representatives of that field. A list of the great physicists is a list of atypical physicists. You can't really generalize about a "physics personality" from them.
Do particular psychologies accompany those successful in the field?
If we try to find a personality trait common to the famous, "breakthrough" physicists, I can't think of one that applies to them all, except maybe 'boldness". The same would be true of the "breakthrough" people in any field, though, not just physics.

I would say with a fair amount of confidence that anyone who succeeds in establishing a carrear in physics probably has the capacity to be meticulous. I can't think of a non-meticulous physicist.

I've dated two phycisists and they were as different as night and day. One was a nuclear physicist and he was a bit quiet and introspective, the other was an inventor working in R&D for a very large corporation with a number of US patents in his name and he was extremely outgoing and fun loving.

Biochemists will bore you to death watching reruns of The Golden Girls and ruin your car. :grumpy:

Math Is Hard said:
... Einstein was known to be a little bit "spacey" too at times.

The story is told that when he got back from his honeymoon, he had to wake up the landlord late at night because he had forgotten to take his door key with him.

Janitor said:
The story is told that when he got back from his honeymoon, he had to wake up the landlord late at night because he had forgotten to take his door key with him.
That's nothin'. The one I heard is that the switchboard operator at Princeton gets a call something like this:

"Could you please tell me the address of Professor Einstein's residence?"

"I'm sorry sir, I'm not permitted to give out that information. For privacy reasons."

"Oh, that's alright. I am Professor Einstein. I've been out strolling and now I can't remember how to get back to my house."

zoobyshoe said:
"Oh, that's alright. I am Professor Einstein. I've been out strolling and now I can't remember how to get back to my house."
If only I could be so gifted. :redface:

- Warren

75% are men
and 98% usses glasses...

I'm guessing here from what I have seen.

ohhh and I don't know why but many hate biology, like a kind of fobia

I usually think of eccentricity ofcourse. Its not just the physicist, look at the mathematicians. Norbert Wiener and Paul Erdos.

Norbert Wiener -

Wiener was in fact very absent minded. The following story is told about him: When they moved from Cambridge to Newton his wife, knowing that he would be absolutely useless on the move, packed him off to MIT while she directed the move. Since she was certain that he would forget that they had moved and where they had moved to, she wrote down the new address on a piece of paper, and gave it to him. Naturally, in the course of the day, an insight occurred to him. He reached in his pocket, found a piece of paper on which he furiously scribbled some notes, thought it over, decided there was a fallacy in his idea, and threw the piece of paper away. At the end of the day he went home (to the old address in Cambridge, of course). When he got there he realized that they had moved, that he had no idea where they had moved to, and that the piece of paper with the address was long gone. Fortunately inspiration struck. There was a young girl on the street and he conceived the idea of asking her where he had moved to, saying, "Excuse me, perhaps you know me. I'm Norbert Wiener and we've just moved. Would you know where we've moved to?" To which the young girl replied, "Yes daddy, mommy thought you would forget."

Paul Erdos -

On one occasion, Erdös met a mathematician and asked him where he was from. "Vancouver," the mathematician replied. "Oh, then you must know my good friend Elliot Mendelson," Erdös said.

The reply was "I AM your good friend Elliot Mendelson."

selfAdjoint said:
Meaning that they won't roll over and play dead for any woozy new idea that comes along?

Something like that, yes. If the idea is woozy, whatever that means.

Evo said:
I've dated two phycisists and they were as different as night and day. One was a nuclear physicist and he was a bit quiet and introspective, the other was an inventor working in R&D for a very large corporation with a number of US patents in his name and he was extremely outgoing and fun loving.

Lucky girl! I would love to date a physicist - if he had all the other necessary qualities that I crave for in a man, of course.

chroot said:
Physicists are mostly white males with huge chips on their shoulders. Good thing they're too scrawny to deliver anything but academic beatings, or they'd rule the planet.

- Warren
Why are you being rude, Warren?

Thallium said:
Lucky girl! I would love to date a physicist - if he had all the other necessary qualities that I crave for in a man, of course.

You mean tall, dark and handsome :surprise:

Tsunami said:
Why are you being rude, Warren?
I'm sorry, it was a joke... hell, I'm essentially a physicist. :redface:

- Warren

zeronem said:
I usually think of eccentricity ofcourse. Its not just the physicist, look at the mathematicians. Norbert Wiener and Paul Erdos.

Thank you ! I was beginning to think that nobody had noticed how mathematicians are way worse than physicists.

Then I must say I have been working every day with physicists for only about two years now, but I think physicists are all open minded and interesting to discuss with. I picture physicists as philosophers basically : they want to understand the very nature of all things. They want to get us out of Plato's cave.

Last edited:
Thallium said:
versus
Thallium said:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

humanino said:
Thank you ! I was beginning to think that nobody had noticed how mathematicians are way worse than physicists.
How does this work? Are particularly eccentric people attracted to math, or does thinking mathematically eventually erode the brain?

Math erode the brain. Deeply. Avoid math for your own sanity. :rofl:

humanino said:
Math erode the brain. Deeply. Avoid math for your own sanity. :rofl:
The single best piece of advise that has ever been dispensed at Physics Forums. Merci!

chroot said:
I'm sorry, it was a joke... hell, I'm essentially a physicist. :redface:

- Warren
Oh. :redface: Well... in THAT case, your description fits better than I thought! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Me sorry, too, if I misunderstood you. I must have been in a 'mood'. :grumpy: Which reminds me (sorry - a bit off topic :rolleyes:) - anyone remember those mood rings? The ones that supposedly change color with your mood...? Well, Ivan got me one of those rings. :wink: So, when I'm in a good mood it's blue, and when I'm in a bad mood - it leaves a big freakin' RED mark on his FOREHEAD! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok. I stop now... :redface:

chroot said:

- Warren

LOL :rofl:

I might take you up on that!

In general, there are a few traits that stand out though.
One is self-confidence in academic matters, which could be interepreted by outsiders as uuter bloody-mindedness.

It is true that physicists tend to look down on the other sciences, with the possible exception of mathematics. This is oftset by the general consensus among physicists that mathematicians are just hopeless, or plain weird.

Another one is pride, sometimes perceived as arrogance. It sort of comes naturally with the degree. Everyday you are confronted with the fact that you are threading in the footsteps of the likes of Newton, Faraday, Ampère, Lorentz, Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Dirac, ...

All these traits can be tracked down to the fact that we are absolutely in love with our subject, and hold in awe the way in which it helps us to understand the universe. It's not bad will.

-Dimi the broad-shouldered, non-glasses wearing physicist.

Last edited:
Tsunami said:
Which reminds me (sorry - a bit off topic :rolleyes:) - anyone remember those mood rings? The ones that supposedly change color with your mood...? Well, Ivan got me one of those rings. :wink: So, when I'm in a good mood it's blue, and when I'm in a bad mood - it leaves a big freakin' RED mark on his FOREHEAD! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok. I stop now... :redface:

HeeheeHEEheehee! :rofl: :rofl: Ohh ..dats funny! :rofl: HEeeheheehehee! (sorry, Ivan - I really am trying not to laugh :redface: ) heHEHEEhee <snort> HeehHEHHEEEheeee :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, we're just obsessive and eccentric, that's all. And if you don't like it, you're CRAZY! Or maybe just more eccentric...

And yeah, biology is the devil. Not even kidding. And its phobia, not fobia. Ok now I'm going to stop.

franznietzsche And its phobia said:
Sorry ... but if you are going to correct everything I write you will never end (english is not my first language) ... but I really appreciate it since I am also an "obssessive person"...but I must admmit that I kind of like Biology :shy:
:eek: I'm a traitor!

I know a at least a handful of physicists who are into Biology.

Crick (of DNA double-helix fame) died yesterday...he was one such.

My experience with physicists is that they are usually good natured, but a bit mad. That they are very focused but (only) semi-smart in theoretical standpoints.
Closest I can get.

Gokul43201 said:
I know a at least a handful of physicists who are into Biology.
Yeah, I don't buy this phobia of biology thing. It's more like commonplace disinterest.

I don't like Biology.

To me Biology is not Mathematical. It could be Mathematical, but apparently it doesn't want to be applied in that subject. If all possibilities there probably are some areas of Biology that require some Mathematical Formalism just havn't found that out yet due that I don't care much for Biology. In fact Nash's Equilibrium, I heard has some break throughs in Evolutionary Biology.

I don't like anything that doesn't require understanding some Mathematical Formalism. I won't buy a Physics book if it doesn't have the Mathematics in it. I don't know why, I'm picky about those things.

I havn't heard many stories of weird physicists except the ones on Einstein. However when I look at the Mathematicians like Johanns Lambert, Paul Erdos, John Nash, Norbert Weiner, Kurt Godel, and many others. There interacting in there own reality created by Mathematics while at the same time dwelling on this reality we all share. The Physicist are in love with the Reality we all share, yet they force the reality created by Mathematicians into the Picture of the reality they love. I think perhaps they find the Universe is in fact as complex and uncomprehensible as the Mathematician's reality is.

In much of the way, I am joyed by the idea that Pure Mathematics itself has developed due to the outstanding Mathematical ideas in Theoretical Physics. In a way, Theoretical Physicists are Mathematicians. I've always believed this and it remains a personal opinion of mine. I'm pretty sure it is a personal opinion of some.

My goal is to get a Phd in Mathematics. However I wouldn't mind putting a little Theoretical Physics in my life as a Hobby.

Surely, you will be one of the most narrow-minded Doctors I know.

An afterthought : How old are you ? Perhaps, I judge you too harshly.