Are Reality TV Shows Misrepresenting Antique Collecting?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, "Auction Hunters" is a television show about two men who buy the contents of storage units and try to make a profit by selling the items. In some episodes, they find valuable items such as a Japanese sword and shotguns, but their methods and claims are often unrealistic and ignorant. The show is part of a trend of poorly made and unoriginal shows on channels like TLC and Discovery. Some people find it entertaining, but others find it ridiculous and a waste of time. The conversation also touches on other shows like "Pawn Stars" and "Storage Wars" and the frustrations of limited TV options.
turbo
Gold Member
I watched a couple of episodes of "Auction Hunters" tonight and was disgusted. These guys buy the contents of storage units and claim to make their living from selling the contents. In one episode, they found a Japanese sword in late military mounts and acted like it was a treasure. In another episode, they found two percussion-type shotguns, and the heavy-set guy with the tattoos on his shaved head claimed sagely that "They are worth more money if they will fire." What a moronic idea! A gun that is old, eroded, or worn should never be fired, lest somebody be injured. A collector would never pay more for an old gun because it had been fired recently, either. They want pristine weapons in as-found condition. The producers of this show are brain-dead and have absolutely no idea what collectors of antiques want.

BTW, you can salt Japanese swords into auctions day after day with a reserve price of $300 or so, because every bone-head will pay at least that hoping that if they take the mounts off the blade, they will discover an ancestral blade that dates from the 15th century. $300? It's like paying 25 cents for a roll of 25 pennies, and hoping to find one penny that is worth more than a penny.

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
I watched a couple of episodes of "Auction Hunters" tonight and was disgusted. These guys buy the contents of storage units and claim to make their living from selling the contents. In one episode, they found a Japanese sword in late military mounts and acted like it was a treasure. In another episode, they found two percussion-type shotguns, and the heavy-set guy with the tattoos on his shaved head claimed sagely that "They are worth more money if they will fire." What a moronic idea! A gun that is old, eroded, or worn should never be fired, lest somebody be injured. A collector would never pay more for an old gun because it had been fired recently, either. They want pristine weapons in as-found condition. The producers of this show are brain-dead and have absolutely no idea what collectors of antiques want.
Pawn Stars and American Pickers are successful because the people are funny. So, they decide to have not funny, over the top nonsense. There are a few more really bad rip off shows coming.

Evo said:
Pawn Stars and American Pickers are successful because the people are funny. So, they decide to have not funny, over the top nonsense. There are a few more really bad rip off shows coming.
I hope you are wrong, but I fear you are right.

Channels like TLC and Discovery are really stretching it lately. I've been extremely suspicious of "Gold Rush Alaska", "Kidnap and Rescue", "Mall Cops" and "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant".

There is a new show out called Storage Wars which I can't stop watching. I find it entertaining because sometimes it is funny seeing what people leave in storage places. I thought it was hilarious when one guy bought a "locker" for like $300 and inside was an oil painting with $900 in cold hard cash hiding inside the frame.

Ok and to be honest, 90% of my enjoyment comes from laughing at how these people who sell other peoples junk for $2 try to make their lives and professions seem anything but a moot point.

Just tuned in Pawn Stars tonight. A guy brought in a Winchester Model 86 rifle, and they claimed that it was the "First and most popular repeating rifle". That is ridiculous! Winchester produced the Henry repeating rifle during the Civil War, and more models throughout the next 20+ years before the '86 came out. These "pawn stars" are idiots, as are their producers.

Kill your TV!

lisab said:
Kill your TV!
If I had another Model 86 (I sold the others), I'd be tempted.

lisab said:
Kill your TV!

Better yet, watch PBS.

Can't believe it, but I actually like the Antiques Road Show. It comes on after The News Hour so by default I started catching it. Beyond all of the science-based programming, The History Detectives can also be quite interesting.

Pengwuino said:
There is a new show out called Storage Wars which I can't stop watching. I find it entertaining because sometimes it is funny seeing what people leave in storage places. I thought it was hilarious when one guy bought a "locker" for like $300 and inside was an oil painting with $900 in cold hard cash hiding inside the frame.

Everytime I go by a storage business in my city, I look to see if there's an auction going on. One time there was and I was soooooooo tempted...

And yes I just quoted myself. Deal with it.

turbo-1 said:
Just tuned in Pawn Stars tonight. A guy brought in a Winchester Model 86 rifle, and they claimed that it was the "First and most popular repeating rifle". That is ridiculous! Winchester produced the Henry repeating rifle during the Civil War, and more models throughout the next 20+ years before the '86 came out. These "pawn stars" are idiots, as are their producers.

You've been laid up way to long turbo.

What you need is a good foot and some warm weather for gardening.

dlgoff said:
You've been laid up way to long turbo.

What you need is a good foot and some warm weather for gardening.
I know. I hate TV and watch due to boredom. Then I get disgusted.

turbo-1 said:
I know. I hate TV and watch due to boredom. Then I get disgusted.

Are you still on dialup internet service or did you get high speed?

Ivan Seeking said:
Are you still on dialup internet service or did you get high speed?
I have minimal (1.5M) DSL that is spotty at best. Many times, I can't top 1M so streaming even low-res music videos can get dicey. I have Dish network, replete with tons of channels that I will never ever watch, just so we can get some basic TV. When the TV broadcasters here went digital, most of us in the boonies lost most or all of our coverage. I feel really bad for old folks who don't have the understanding or the money to regain some basic TV content.

Cable is not even an option out here. The population density is too low for cable, so you either have to spring for satellite or do without.

turbo-1 said:
I have minimal (1.5M) DSL that is spotty at best. Many times, I can't top 1M so streaming even low-res music videos can get dicey. I have Dish network, replete with tons of channels that I will never ever watch, just so we can get some basic TV. When the TV broadcasters here went digital, most of us in the boonies lost most or all of our coverage. I feel really bad for old folks who don't have the understanding or the money to regain some basic TV content.

Cable is not even an option out here. The population density is too low for cable, so you either have to spring for satellite or do without.

You can definitely run Netflix at 1.5, and for I think 8$ a month for unlimited access. Beats the heck out of regular TV.

Ivan Seeking said:
You can definitely run Netflix at 1.5, and for I think 8$ a month for unlimited access. Beats the heck out of regular TV.

You can indeed, and it sure as hell does.

A Roku player, or just your computer is a pretty good choice, unless you feel like a PS3 or Xbox360... and that I have trouble imagining Turbo... :wink:

Housewives of Stuck-up City.

Why do people watch this... stuff?

lisab said:
Kill your TV!

Hi lisab;

I think I recall from another thread you said you had no TV in your house. Firstly if that is the case, let me say how I admire you about this.

Do you have kids ? How old are they ? How do you cope with the 'strange' postion that they might feel they're in, given that 99.999% of other people do have TV ?

SyFy sucks now too... "Ghost Hunters"

Pythagorean said:

*Seething Hatred*

That channel has a LOT to answer for...

alt said:
Hi lisab;

I think I recall from another thread you said you had no TV in your house. Firstly if that is the case, let me say how I admire you about this.

Do you have kids ? How old are they ? How do you cope with the 'strange' postion that they might feel they're in, given that 99.999% of other people do have TV ?

I have an 18-year-old daughter who lives most of the time at college now. When she was a younger kid, there was a TV in the house but she almost never watched. She just wasn't interested - had other hobbies, like piano or reading. When she became a teenager, sometimes she'd watch C-SPAN (seriously).

So she never really missed TV, but I admit any teen who watches C-SPAN for fun is not typical.

C-Span? Wow... I...

In my life, I've never met ANYONE who really watches C-Span below the age of... let's say 45.

She must have been HELL to argue with about politics! "Well mom, if you'd been WATCHING the senate floor then you'd KNOW..." *facepalm*

Pythagorean said:
That's nothing compared to Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures. That is the most ridiculous show on tv, hands down.

Evo said:
That's nothing compared to Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures. That is the most ridiculous show on tv, hands down.

I would tend to agree, but the scripted "TruTV" shows have to be the most absurd.

It's hard to tell these days, but actually I'd say Glenn Beck is the most moronic, with Nancy Grace running a close second.

On the other hand, TSM: World's Dumbest... es mon petite peche.

In general I find the programs my kids watch damaging to my brain cells. They should watch the quality programs that were around ages ago :). I try to encourage this. Hence, they are watching Quantum Leap at the moment.

cobalt124 said:
In general I find the programs my kids watch damaging to my brain cells. They should watch the quality programs that were around ages ago :). I try to encourage this. Hence, they are watching Quantum Leap at the moment.

Wise man.

Pythagorean said:
Sci^H^HyFy has taken a turn for the worse, though I do enjoy Stargate Universe, and strangely even "Being Human." I heard they were going to make another BSG spinoff, but I doubt they could top either BSG or Caprica--my guess is they're going with more action and less content.

It just keeps getting worse. There is a new one out called HARD CORE PAWN , it takes place in Chicago. Most of the people bringing stuff in look like druggies or gangsters.

The Original ICE ROAD TRUCKERS wasn't bad, but they even over script that now.

I am up late a lot

Sometimes it is a choice between AX MEN, SWAMP PEOPLE, or turn the blasted thing off and listen to the strange noises that my house makes as the roof cools off. I can occasionally hear the refrigerator kick onto the defrost cycle if I am lucky.

Last night at 2:30 AM it was a choice between, THE VICKER OF DIBLEY on PBS , or anyone of 37 infomercials.

edward said:
The Original ICE ROAD TRUCKERS wasn't bad, but they even over script that now.
Did you watch them in the Himalayas? That's the only one I've seen, and it was crazy.

Want a REAL Ice-Road Trucker? When I was a kid, my uncle and his partner managed to get cutting rights on woodland that was inaccessible by road. They cut that wood-lot in the dead of winter. Every day for weeks, they'd chop parallel lines of holes in the ice on top of Pierce Pond to thicken the ice on a road that they iced themselves. When they thought it was safe enough, they'd drive their Cat dozer across the pond, and their old Chevy Wheeler. My uncle used to make the pulp runs with the truck while his partner kept cutting and stacking pulp-wood to load for the next run. I asked him if he was scared of driving a loaded pulp truck across the ice, and he told me that before he'd head out with a load, he'd open the windows, and rope both doors open. Pretty scary.

Pythagorean said:

I think a great cross over would be for HGTV or DIY network to come into a house after the Ghost hunters and do an energy audit and seal up all of the gaps to the outside. Then have the Ghost hunters do a follow up. Where did all the spirits go??

turbo-1 said:
Want a REAL Ice-Road Trucker? When I was a kid, my uncle and his partner managed to get cutting rights on woodland that was inaccessible by road. They cut that wood-lot in the dead of winter. Every day for weeks, they'd chop parallel lines of holes in the ice on top of Pierce Pond to thicken the ice on a road that they iced themselves. When they thought it was safe enough, they'd drive their Cat dozer across the pond, and their old Chevy Wheeler. My uncle used to make the pulp runs with the truck while his partner kept cutting and stacking pulp-wood to load for the next run. I asked him if he was scared of driving a loaded pulp truck across the ice, and he told me that before he'd head out with a load, he'd open the windows, and rope both doors open. Pretty scary.

Someone is lucky to have cousins! :bugeye:

@Argentum: :smile: I would watch that, or better...

...get a serious SFX house (non CGI) to make an incredible haunted house, with actors, torrents of "blood" down stairs, etc... and just scare the spinal column out of those "hunters". :devil:

nismaratwork said:
Someone is lucky to have cousins! :bugeye:
One of my cousins was the project director for the last Hubble upgrade. I can never tell what contractor that he's working for, and I won't disclose that one. He has at least as much street rep and upward mobility as I do. His father is the one who trucked loads of pulp-wood across a remote pond.

turbo-1 said:
One of my cousins was the project director for the last Hubble upgrade. I can never tell what contractor that he's working for, and I won't disclose that one. He has at least as much street rep and upward mobility as I do. His father is the one who trucked loads of pulp-wood across a remote pond.

That's a bit of upward mobility for you, wow. Well, again, really good thing that your uncle was good at his job, or that's one cousin who would never have been born.

Back