Are ribosomes complexes of protein and RNA?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hivesaeed4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Protein Rna
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
hivesaeed4
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
Hi,

The question is the same as the title :

Are ribosomes complexes of protein and RNA?

I read that in a book and though I have no idea what ribosomes are made of I thought it did'nt make sense that they are complexes of protein and DNA.

Help?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
hivesaeed4 said:
I read that in a book and though I have no idea what ribosomes are made of I thought it did'nt make sense that they are complexes of protein and DNA.

What made you think that it didn't make sense?
 
I don't know. At that time it just seemed counter-intuitive. Anyway, thanks guys.
 
Well what didn't make sense to me was the thread title asked about RNA, but the details asked about DNA. Which did you actually mean?
 
atyy said:
Well what didn't make sense to me was the thread title asked about RNA, but the details asked about DNA. Which did you actually mean?

Oh right. Now that you mention it, I realized that I misread DNA for RNA in the actual message after reading the title.
 
Yes,ribosomes are made of ribosomal RNA and proteins.The role of these two is to create chemical repulsion(and attraction) between the two parts that make up a ribosome(small and large one),they open up and close like a mouth,and on each bite they read a codon(sequence of three nucleotides).
 
They are proteins made of single stranded RNA (Ribonucleic Acid). RNA has one more oxygen molecule than DNA hence the name Deoxyribonucleic Acid.
 
BlackTentacle said:
They are proteins made of single stranded RNA (Ribonucleic Acid).

Proteins and RNA are two different types of macromolecules. Neither is made of the other.

BlackTentacle said:
RNA has one more oxygen molecule than DNA hence the name Deoxyribonucleic Acid.

I wouldn't call it an oxygen 'molecule', rather a hydroxyl group (-OH) at the second carbon of the ribose sugar
 
mishrashubham said:
Proteins and RNA are two different types of macromolecules. Neither is made of the other.

Yes sorry I meant from RNA.