Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are ribosomes complexes of protein and RNA?

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Hi,

The question is the same as the title :

Are ribosomes complexes of protein and RNA?

I read that in a book and though I have no idea what ribosomes are made of I thought it did'nt make sense that they are complexes of protein and DNA.

Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Yes.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    What made you think that it didn't make sense?

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4
    I don't know. At that time it just seemed counter-intuitive. Anyway, thanks guys.

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

Well what didn't make sense to me was the thread title asked about RNA, but the details asked about DNA. Which did you actually mean?

7. Jun 11, 2012 #6
    Oh right. Now that you mention it, I realized that I misread DNA for RNA in the actual message after reading the title.

8. Jun 14, 2012 #7
    Yes,ribosomes are made of ribosomal RNA and proteins.The role of these two is to create chemical repulsion(and attraction) between the two parts that make up a ribosome(small and large one),they open up and close like a mouth,and on each bite they read a codon(sequence of three nucleotides).

9. Jun 17, 2012 #8
    They are proteins made of single stranded RNA (Ribonucleic Acid). RNA has one more oxygen molecule than DNA hence the name Deoxyribonucleic Acid.

10. Jun 17, 2012 #9
    Proteins and RNA are two different types of macromolecules. Neither is made of the other.

I wouldn't call it an oxygen 'molecule', rather a hydroxyl group (-OH) at the second carbon of the ribose sugar

11. Jun 17, 2012 #10

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook