Are the sets path-connected?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about path-connectedness and connectedness of sets in $\mathbb{R}^2$, specifically the sets $A=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : 1\leq x_1^2+x_2^2\leq 4\}$ and $B=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : x_1^2-x_2^2=1, x_1, x_2>0\}$. It is mentioned that the first set can be checked for path-connectedness using the gluing lemma, while the second set can be shown to be path-connected by considering $x_1$ as
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Can a set in $\mathbb{R}^2$ be path-connected only when it is connected, i.e. when we know that a set is not connected then it cannot be path-connected? (Wondering)

We have the sets
  • $\displaystyle{A=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : 1\leq x_1^2+x_2^2\leq 4\}}$
  • $\displaystyle{B=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : x_1^2-x_2^2=1, x_1, x_2>0\}}$

I have shown that these sets are connected. Could you give me a hint how we could check whether they are path-connected or not? (Wondering) I have also an other question. Suppose we have the set $\displaystyle{C=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : x_2\cos x_1=\sin x_1\}}$. This is equivalent to $\displaystyle{C=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : x_2=\tan x_1\}}$.
We have that the tangens function is not continuous on the whole $\mathbb{R}$, since it is not defined everywhere. Is this enough to say that this implies that the set is not connected? Or do we need more information to get that conclusion? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Can a set in $\mathbb{R}^2$ be path-connected only when it is connected, i.e. when we know that a set is not connected then it cannot be path-connected? (Wondering)

We have the sets
  • $\displaystyle{A=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : 1\leq x_1^2+x_2^2\leq 4\}}$
  • $\displaystyle{B=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : x_1^2-x_2^2=1, x_1, x_2>0\}}$

I have shown that these sets are connected. Could you give me a hint how we could check whether they are path-connected or not? (Wondering)

For the first set: Make a sketch, then use the gluing lemma.
For the second set: $x_1$ is a continuous function of $x_2$ on the interval $(0,\infty)$.

mathmari said:
I have also an other question. Suppose we have the set $\displaystyle{C=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : x_2\cos x_1=\sin x_1\}}$. This is equivalent to $\displaystyle{C=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^2 : x_2=\tan x_1\}}$. We have that the tangens function is not continuous on the whole $\mathbb{R}$, since it is not defined everywhere. Is this enough to say that this implies that the set is not connected? Or do we need more information to get that conclusion? (Wondering)

Could you write $C$ as the disjoint union of non-empty, closed subsets of $\mathbb{R}^2$?

Krylov said:
Could you write $C$ as the disjoint union of non-empty, closed subsets of $\mathbb{R}^2$?

I don't really have an idea about that. Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Krylov said:
For the first set: Make a sketch, then use the gluing lemma.
For the second set: $x_1$ is a continuous function of $x_2$ on the interval $(0,\infty)$.

For the first set: Can we see that only with the graph? (Wondering)

For the second set: We have that $x_1=\sqrt{1+x_2^2}$. What do we get from that? (Wondering)

1. What does it mean for a set to be path-connected?

Path-connectedness refers to the ability to connect any two points in a set using a continuous path. In other words, there exists a continuous function that maps the interval [0,1] to the set and connects the two given points.

2. How can I determine if a set is path-connected?

To determine if a set is path-connected, you can try to find a continuous function that connects any two points in the set. If such a function exists, then the set is path-connected. Another way is to check if the set is connected and locally path-connected, which would also imply path-connectedness.

3. Is every connected set also path-connected?

No, not every connected set is path-connected. For example, the set of integers is connected but not path-connected, as there is no continuous path that can connect two distinct integers.

4. Can a set be path-connected but not connected?

No, a set cannot be path-connected but not connected. The definition of path-connectedness requires the set to be connected, as a path cannot exist between two points if the set is not connected.

5. How does path-connectedness relate to topological spaces?

In topology, path-connectedness is a topological property that describes how connected a space is. In a topological space, a set is path-connected if and only if it is both connected and locally path-connected. This property is important in understanding the structure and behavior of topological spaces.