Are There Any Conjectures About the Primality of n and n!+1?

• Thread starter Entropee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple Fun
In summary, the conversation discusses conjectures about the primality of n and n! for natural numbers, and whether to use logic notation or English in proofs. It is also mentioned that n! is never a prime for n>2, and that n! is never a perfect square for n>1. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use Wolfram and a link to a page discussing factorial primes.
Entropee
Gold Member
I'm not sure if these have been looked into extensively (they probably have, I just have a hard time finding them), but I was just wondering about a couple conjectures I thought up and tested by hand for a bit. Matlab can't run it for very long. Let me know if anyone finds a contradiction or if there are any links to more information about these.

[itex]\forall[/itex]n[itex]\epsilon[/itex]integers, n is not prime (n! is not prime)
[itex]\forall[/itex]n[itex]\epsilon[/itex]integers, n is not prime ((n!+1) is not prime)

Also I'm new to proofs and this method of formatting, I'm just playing around with these for fun so let me know if I have my notation wrong. I couldn't find the correct capital Z that stands for integers. Also should I say n is composite or should I say n is not prime? Does it matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Entropee said:
I'm not sure if these have been looked into extensively (they probably have, I just have a hard time finding them), but I was just wondering about a couple conjectures I thought up and tested by hand for a bit. Matlab can't run it for very long. Let me know if anyone finds a contradiction or if there are any links to more information about these.

[itex]\forall[/itex]n[itex]\epsilon[/itex]integers, n is not prime (n! is not prime)
[itex]\forall[/itex]n[itex]\epsilon[/itex]integers, n is not prime ((n!+1) is not prime)

Also I'm new to proofs and this method of formatting, I'm just playing around with these for fun so let me know if I have my notation wrong. I couldn't find the correct capital Z that stands for integers. Also should I say n is composite or should I say n is not prime? Does it matter?

[itex]\forall[/itex] n [itex]\epsilon[/itex] natural numbers, n is not prime → n! is not prime

By the way, in graduate school in mathematics I was instructed not to use logic notation on homework. They wanted English.

I would avoid integers for this sort of thing. It complicates the issue and does you no good.

> Does it matter?

No. They are exactly the same. A natural number is composite if and only if it is not prime. So they are logically completely equivalent.

Notice that n! is never a prime for n>2 : n!:= n(n-1)...2.1

If n is of the type p-1 , (with p a prime) , then you're right, e.g., using Wilson's Theorem,

which says that (p-1)!== 1(modp) , so that (p-1)!+1 == 0(modp);

notice 4!+1 is divisible by 5 ; 6!+1 is div. by 7 . But I don't know

otherwise.

I think you may find this one interesting: show n! is never a perfect square for n>1

(Hint: Bertrand's Postulate --actually a .theorem now )

Maybe you can experiment with Wolfram: http://www.wolframalpha.com/

EDIT: look at the page: http://primes.utm.edu/glossary/xpage/FactorialPrime.html

Nice conjecture, tho, the smallest counter is 116.

Last edited:

Related to Are There Any Conjectures About the Primality of n and n!+1?

1. What is a conjecture?

A conjecture is a proposed explanation or theory based on limited evidence or observations. It is not yet proven to be true, but it is believed to be true based on logical reasoning and evidence.

2. Can anyone make a conjecture?

Yes, anyone can make a conjecture. However, in order for it to be considered a valid scientific conjecture, it must be based on existing evidence and be testable through experimentation or observation.

3. How is a conjecture different from a hypothesis?

A conjecture is similar to a hypothesis in that they are both proposed explanations or theories. However, a hypothesis is more specific and is formulated as a testable statement, while a conjecture is a broader idea that has not yet been proven.

4. What is the purpose of making a conjecture?

The purpose of making a conjecture is to generate new ideas and theories that can be further explored and tested. It is an important part of the scientific process and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields.

5. How do you determine if a conjecture is true?

A conjecture can only be considered true if it has been proven through rigorous experimentation and observation. It must also be consistent with existing evidence and be able to withstand attempts at falsification.