Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there any microcontroller (mcu) course in university?

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    I'm looking for some textbook for learning microcontroller(MCU), especially AVR, Atmega series.

Does the electrical and computer engineering department in some university teach this devices?

If so, what is the basic textbook for university students to learn MCU?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2
    There are textbooks on microcontrollers, but there are so many types it's hard to write one specifically geared toward a specific type, like AVR. The following textbook is one that I've used for the course I took on mechatronics. It generalizes microcontroller features (interrupts, etc.) so you'll know what the general capabilities of the AVR are. The AVR datasheet will tell you the rest.

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction...8&qid=1420821231&sr=1-6&keywords=mechatronics

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 9, 2015 #3
    You are implying that studying AVR text book is not really good choice?

So it is good to learn mechatronics and AVR datasheet can suffice?

5. Jan 13, 2015 #4
    What I'm saying is that a university textbook will be written to be as general as possible within a certain subject. When I took mechatronics, I specifically used the PIC32 microcontroller series, but the textbook I had for the class only generally covered what microcontrollers can do (interrupts, timers, etc.). The rest I had to learn from the datasheet and from other documentation from Microchip. The link I included above is the textbook I had. A quick Internet search will point you to more specific materials on AVRs and what others have learned about using them in projects. I would think that's enough to get you started.

Depending on your interest level, you might not need to learn everything about mechatronics to get your specific idea/project underway. Don't make the mistake in thinking you have to know *everything* about the subject to start playing around with the components. Of course, that's not to say that there isn't a lot to learn, but don't think you have to take a university course to do something cool.

6. Jan 19, 2015 #5
    Although I am a novice and I couldn't follow your words exactly, I will keep this in mind. Thank you for the advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook