Are there any real benefits from student membership in the American Physical Society?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
Simfish
Gold Member
The benefits are listed at http://www.aps.org/membership/student.cfm

You get a free online subscription to Physical Review Letters, Reviews of Modern Physics or one section of Physical Review.

But is that really a benefit if your university already has access to these journals?

Answers and Replies

eri

You'll get a copy of Physics Today, which is good. You'll get reduced registration fees for their conferences. And you can put it on your resume, which will show internships/grad schools that you're getting involved.

Simfish
Gold Member

Hm I see. I can view all physics today articles for free (on my university connection) even when I'm not logged on though. And if I put it on my resume, does that just make me look like I'm padding up my resume? (especially since I'm not doing anything in it?)

jhae2.718
Gold Member

I wouldn't say so...professional societies are good.

I'm an aerospace major, and I am a member of AIAA (professional soceity for aerospace) and IEEE. I'm also considering joining SIAM, APS, and AMS...

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Hm I see. I can view all physics today articles for free (on my university connection) even when I'm not logged on though. And if I put it on my resume, does that just make me look like I'm padding up my resume? (especially since I'm not doing anything in it?)

A student membership also gives you discounted (even free) registration to conferences, and prompt news on what's going on within the physics community. They may also send you info that specifically benefits students.

Besides, it is always a nice thing to support a professional organization that you either find beneficial, or something you might work in. Note that if you have a SPS branch at your school, then you might want to consider joining that since it ties in with the APS as well.

Zz.

Simfish
Gold Member

Oh okay - thanks for the info.

Hm, if I'm a member of 3 professional societies, then is it resume padding to put this membership on my CVs?