Student Membership Benefits at APS: Is It Worth It?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, joining the American Physical Society (APS) as a student member offers several benefits including a free online subscription to select journals, a copy of Physics Today, reduced conference registration fees, and the ability to include it on your resume. While some may argue that it could be seen as resume padding, being a member of multiple professional societies can demonstrate a commitment to your field and support for the organizations. Additionally, membership in the Society of Physics Students (SPS) can be advantageous as it is affiliated with APS.
Simfish
Gold Member
The benefits are listed at http://www.aps.org/membership/student.cfm

You get a free online subscription to Physical Review Letters, Reviews of Modern Physics or one section of Physical Review.

But is that really a benefit if your university already has access to these journals?

Physics news on Phys.org

You'll get a copy of Physics Today, which is good. You'll get reduced registration fees for their conferences. And you can put it on your resume, which will show internships/grad schools that you're getting involved.

Hm I see. I can view all physics today articles for free (on my university connection) even when I'm not logged on though. And if I put it on my resume, does that just make me look like I'm padding up my resume? (especially since I'm not doing anything in it?)

I wouldn't say so...professional societies are good.

I'm an aerospace major, and I am a member of AIAA (professional soceity for aerospace) and IEEE. I'm also considering joining SIAM, APS, and AMS...

Simfish said:
Hm I see. I can view all physics today articles for free (on my university connection) even when I'm not logged on though. And if I put it on my resume, does that just make me look like I'm padding up my resume? (especially since I'm not doing anything in it?)

A student membership also gives you discounted (even free) registration to conferences, and prompt news on what's going on within the physics community. They may also send you info that specifically benefits students.

Besides, it is always a nice thing to support a professional organization that you either find beneficial, or something you might work in. Note that if you have a SPS branch at your school, then you might want to consider joining that since it ties in with the APS as well.

Zz.

Oh okay - thanks for the info.

Hm, if I'm a member of 3 professional societies, then is it resume padding to put this membership on my CVs?

What are the benefits of having a student membership with APS?

Some benefits of having a student membership with APS include access to their scientific journals, discounted registration fees for conferences and events, networking opportunities with other scientists, and access to mentorship and career development resources.

How much does a student membership with APS cost?

The cost of a student membership with APS varies depending on the specific membership plan and the current promotional offers. However, student memberships are generally much more affordable than regular memberships.

Are there any requirements to be eligible for a student membership with APS?

Yes, to be eligible for a student membership with APS, you must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and provide proof of your student status, such as a valid student ID or transcript.

What scientific journals are included in a student membership with APS?

A student membership with APS includes access to all 10 of their scientific journals, covering a wide range of topics in the field of physics, including biophysics, materials physics, and nuclear physics.

Are there any additional perks to having a student membership with APS?

Yes, in addition to the benefits mentioned earlier, student members also have the opportunity to apply for research grants and travel awards, as well as participate in APS committees and leadership programs.