Are there any standout books on Set Theory and what research is left to be done?

In summary, The conversation discusses books on set theory and the research in the field. The speaker recommends "The Joy of Sets" by Keith Devlin for a beginner's explanation of Zermelo's axioms and the independence of 2^{\aleph_{0}} = \aleph_{1} from ZFC. They also mention other books such as Jech and Hrbaceck's "Intro to Set Theory" and Jech's "Set Theory" for more advanced reading. The conversation concludes that there is ongoing research in the field of set theory.
andytoh
Any books that really stand out? Currently, I'm reading "Set Theory and Logic" by Stoll. I'm not interested in the axiomatic type of set theory, like Godel's theory and all those unreadable symboic proofs. I'm more interested in stuff like the axiom of choice proofs and such. Also, is there any research left to do in set theory or is it a fully exhausted field?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about others, but I quite enjoyed Keith Devlin's "The Joy of Sets" (2nd Edition is much better). It gives a good justification of each of Zermelo's axioms and why they are there and has a very good explanation of the ordinals.
However the unique feature of this book is that it contains a good beginner's explanation of why [tex]2^{\aleph_{0}} = \aleph_{1}[/tex] is independant of ZFC and the attempts to resolve this by the addition of new axioms.

well there are plenty of good intro books on set theory.
At my school we're using jech and hrbaceck intro to set theory, after reading this intro I think the next step is reading jech's set theory text, which is more advanced.

As for research in the field, if you search for handbook of set theory in google you'll find a page with the articles from the handbook, they address there their research in the field, so yes there's research in the field.

Related to Are there any standout books on Set Theory and what research is left to be done?

1. What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is a fundamental theory that serves as the foundation for many other branches of mathematics.

2. Why is it important to study Set Theory?

Set Theory is important because it provides a rigorous framework for understanding the fundamental concepts of mathematics. It also helps to develop critical thinking skills and enables us to solve complex problems in various fields such as computer science, physics, and economics.

3. What are some recommended books on Set Theory?

Some recommended books on Set Theory include "Naive Set Theory" by Paul R. Halmos, "Introduction to Set Theory" by Karel Hrbacek and Thomas Jech, and "Set Theory: An Introduction to Independence Proofs" by Kenneth Kunen.

4. Who should read books on Set Theory?

Books on Set Theory are suitable for anyone who has a basic understanding of mathematics and is interested in learning more about the foundations of mathematics and its applications. It is especially useful for students pursuing degrees in mathematics, computer science, and other related fields.

5. Are there any online resources for studying Set Theory?

Yes, there are several online resources available for studying Set Theory, including lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses. Some recommended resources include the Open Logic Project, the Set Theory section on Khan Academy, and the Set Theory and Logic section on Math Stack Exchange.