Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there particle's or masses that travel faster than light?

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    if it were possible to send a message or travel at speed's higher than light what would happen? i know that at the speed of light time would stop.but beyond....?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    Messages already have been sent faster than light speed, by making use of the tunnel effect.

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is not correct. There is still NO consensus that a tunneling signal travels faster than c. Please see:

H. Winful, PRL v.90, p.023901 (2003)
    M. Buttiker and S. Washburn, Nature v.422, p.271 (2003)
    H. Winful, Phys. Rep. v.436, p.1 (2006).

Zz.

5. Nov 22, 2008 #4
    I thought that sending information faster than the speed of light was forbidden by special relativity

EDIT: But Tachyons (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyons) can go faster than the speed of light, though they are highly hypothetical and controversial.

6. Nov 22, 2008 #5
    would there be consequences if faster than light were possible?

7. Nov 22, 2008 #6
    Don't the quantum computers send energy quicker than the speed of light via electron tunneling? I'm not sure if that counts as traveling.

Hayley

8. Nov 22, 2008 #7
  9. Nov 22, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please try not to use Wikipedia as a source, especially when you don't know the validity of the information that you are citing.

Zz.

10. Nov 22, 2008 #9
    i was asking if that article is reliable.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  11. Nov 22, 2008 #10
    I'm a physics layman, so please bear with me...

I was under the impression that when a photon is created, it's wave function instantly fills the entire universe, i.e. there is a very small, but non-zero possibilty of detecting it virtually anywhere.

Is this correct?

12. Nov 23, 2008 #11
    ok,i was watching a video if something were to exceed light speed,it would go back in time?!?!?!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  13. Nov 23, 2008 #12
    i read that a particle that is virtual is able to exceed light speed?

14. Nov 23, 2008 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Falloutcast, we're trying to tell you that particles don't exceed the speed of light. So "what would happen if it could?" is like asking "if you could go north of the north pole what would be there?"

15. Nov 23, 2008 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a completely different subject and should not be discussed in this thread. You are asking about non-locality, where a particle's position is spread out over various locations. This is NOT the same as having a FTL movement! That is why I said this is a different subject.

Zz.

16. Nov 23, 2008 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is ONE easy thing that we can do to settle this thread, and that is:

point out one verified and agreed-upon experiment in which a FTL message has been sent.

Don't use (i) tunneling signal, because of what I've mentioned above; don't use (ii) the NEC type experiment using anomalous dispersive media, because we had discussed this a gazillion times on here on why no part of that wave is moving faster than c; and (iii) don't use quantum entanglement, as in the Bell-type experiment, because one needs to look at the Quantum physics forum to figure out why it can't be done.

If we can't do this, then the OP has been answered, no?

Zz.

17. Nov 23, 2008 #16
    Nonlocality leads to the possibilty of FTL communication, though:

When you modulate a photon source with your message at location a, it is possible to pick up a strongly attenuated form of this signal at location b via the photon's wave functions.

If the creation of the wave function is instantaneous, then this type of communication is instantaneous, too.

Hence my question.

This is NOT the same as FTL movement.

This is OT w.r.t the thread title, but not w.r.t. the first post...

18. Nov 23, 2008 #17
    Yeah there have a particle that travel faster than a light which is ka-ki-yon I don't know if I spell it right or not, but I think not, but anyway this particle can not travel in a speed that lower than light year it can only travel in a speed that faster than light year. But this is just a theory can not be improve yet, but now scientists try figure it out right now.

19. Nov 23, 2008 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But it doesn't lead to faster than light TRAVEL (as in the OP's question), because nothing is traveling.

Zz.

20. Nov 23, 2008 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's "tachyon", and this is hypothetical. If we want to deal with speculative, unverified particle, I can spew out several. Is this what we want, or do we want something that's verified, as per my question?

Zz.

21. Nov 23, 2008 #20
    Okay, so what about these vacuum fluctuations, which are said to be occurring at the sub-Planck scale. If we apply sub-Planck even to the time-axis, then doesn't this imply events which are occurring faster than light?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?