Are there some people in life who don't have to work for any

• Thread starter Danielle Sarah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Work
In summary: It's not always intentional, but it does happen. And yes, it's important to not let the negative opinions of others influence your own outlook on life. Focus on your own experiences and make your own judgments.
Danielle Sarah
It is truly unfair. I have still never been in a relationship. Have no friends, even though I am told I am pretty. Failed my first class last semester due to extensive work. My grandmother gives me grief when things don't go her way in my regard. Like what did I do to deserve this? I am such a good person. I feel life is going to treat me nothing but badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"...who don't have to work for any" what?

It certainly looks like some people don't have to do any work to get certain benefits - and it is not fair.
Life is unfair and unjust - you'll hear that a lot I bet. Justice and fairness are human constructs and need to be worked at.
The trick is learning to deal with it. One of the advantages of science is the insistence on dealing with life as it is rather than as others tell us it is. Life is generally pretty crappy - but there are good things too. May I ask: how old are you?

If you are working really hard at things others seem to find easy, you may want to reassess where your talents lie.
Most people pursue what they find easy. Some people work really hard but have learned to give the impression they are not.

Relationships can be tricky because most people lie about them ... how many, how long, and how satisfying.
It is not unusual, especially if you want to do well in tertiary education (college) that you don't have any meaningful romantic relationship for years despite what TV and movies would have us believe. You are simply working too hard to have a social life.

Last edited:
Likes slider142 and Choppy
Simon Bridge said:
"...who don't have to work for any" what?

It certainly looks like some people don't have to do any work to get certain benefits - and it is not fair.
Life is unfair and unjust - you'll hear that a lot I bet. Justice and fairness are human constructs and need to be worked at.
The trick is learning to deal with it. One of the advantages of science is the insistence on dealing with life as it is rather than as others tell us it is. Life is generally pretty crappy - but there are good things too. May I ask: how old are you?

If you are working really hard at things others seem to find easy, you may want to reassess where your talents lie.
Most people pursue what they find easy. Some people work really hard but have learned to give the impression they are not.

Relationships can be tricky because most people lie about them ... how many, how long, and how satisfying.
It is not unusual, especially if you want to do well in tertiary education (college) that you don't have any meaningful romantic relationship for years despite what TV and movies would have us believe. You are simply working too hard.
I posted the question from another site and I guess it was too long in order for it to be properly pasted and fit the forum guideline. I am 21. Funny enough, my relatives believe life is so joyful and is a blessing, regardless of what took place throughout their life. Even though I am extremely annoyed with my grandmother, she still believes life is wonderful, regardless of how miserable she acts. I am 21. And I am an IT major. Psychology is my passion but I will have to be in school for years in order to get where I want to go. I have a 3.5 gpa in IT -_- and my psychology academic plan is a 3.72 haha. I was thinking of switching to HSA, but I do not know how far that will get me and I've made it so far in IT. Weird enough, math and science are my weakest subjects. English and History are my strengths. So you're saying, people lie about how happy their relationship may actually be? As well, avoid the negative opinions I may hear others imply about what life has to bring to certain individuals?

Edited by moderator
So you're saying, people lie about how happy their relationship may actually be? As well, avoid the negative opinions I may hear others imply about what life has to bring to certain individuals?
That is pretty much my observation - though they are often lying to themselves as well.
There is also learning to be happy anyway ... there are strategies for that. But usually the state of mind comes from choosing to remember the good stuff and downplay the bad stuff.

Buddhists (Mahayana) for eg say that happiness is the absence of pain - usually pain through attachment and striving for things. But I think they are mostly talking about inner peace. You'll find the most accessible sources for making sense of these things comes from religion.

Are you religious at all?
Sounds like your grandmother may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danielle Sarah said:
Funny enough, my relatives believe life is so joyful and is a blessing, regardless of what took place throughout their life.

As my dad is fond of saying, no matter how horrible your life is, it can always be worse. Always. So while bad things can and do happen, on the scale of all that's possible, they usually aren't all that bad. Heck, you can usually learn something from them too, and I'm sure many people would agree that having bad things happen to you is a necessity to becoming a good, well rounded person capable of recognizing all the good around you. After all, if you've never been in the shadow, you can't see the light.

Danielle Sarah said:
Psychology is my passion but I will have to be in school for years in order to get where I want to go.

If that's what you want to do, keep working at it.

Danielle Sarah said:
So you're saying, people lie about how happy their relationship may actually be? As well, avoid the negative opinions I may hear others imply about what life has to bring to certain individuals?

People often lie to themselves and others as a way of coping with bad situations or relationships without realizing they are doing it. I have several friends like this. Of course there's always the possibility that they aren't lying at all and are truly happy.

Danielle Sarah said:
It is truly unfair. I have still never been in a relationship. Have no friends, even though I am told I am pretty. Failed my first class last semester due to extensive work. My grandmother gives me grief when things don't go her way in my regard. Like what did I do to deserve this? I am such a good person. I feel life is going to treat me nothing but badly.

Life ain't fair. Don't expect it to be. You don't get anywhere in life just because you're a good person. It takes work and dedication to get what you want, whether it's a job, a relationship, friends, etc. If you want friends and relationships then you need to be proactive and go out and meet people. Trust me, I know. I have no close friends within about 1,000 miles of me nor am I in a relationship. But that's mostly fault. I have the option of going out and meeting people, I just choose not too usually.

One thing I would recommend is to see a psychologist. I saw one for a little over a year for therapy involving ADHD and a language disorder, but she also helped me recognize that I am the one in control of my life and I have the power to change it. She gave me exercises to do and taught me coping skills to help deal with a variety of stressful situations in a healthy way.

Likes Sophia, billy_joule, Dale and 1 other person
There is an old Chinese story that helps me get through these kinds of situations:
There was a farmer whose horse ran away. That evening the neighbors gathered to commiserate with him since this was such bad luck. He said, “May be.” The next day the horse returned, but brought with it six wild horses, and the neighbors came exclaiming at his good fortune. He said, “May be.” And then, the following day, his son tried to saddle and ride one of the wild horses, was thrown, and broke his leg.

Again the neighbors came to offer their sympathy for the misfortune. He said, “May be.” The day after that, conscription officers came to the village to seize young men for the army, but because of the broken leg the farmer’s son was rejected. When the neighbors came into say how fortunately everything had turned out, he said, “May be.”
http://theunboundedspirit.com/short-story-the-taoist-farmer/

I guess you can say that life is neither fair nor unfair, it just is and we need to learn how to adapt to its twists and turns like we do the weather.

Likes Sophia, billy_joule, Choppy and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
As my dad is fond of saying, no matter how horrible your life is, it can always be worse. Always. So while bad things can and do happen, on the scale of all that's possible, they usually aren't all that bad. Heck, you can usually learn something from them too, and I'm sure many people would agree that having bad things happen to you is a necessity to becoming a good, well rounded person capable of recognizing all the good around you. After all, if you've never been in the shadow, you can't see the light.
If that's what you want to do, keep working at it.
People often lie to themselves and others as a way of coping with bad situations or relationships without realizing they are doing it. I have several friends like this. Of course there's always the possibility that they aren't lying at all and are truly happy.
Life ain't fair. Don't expect it to be. You don't get anywhere in life just because you're a good person. It takes work and dedication to get what you want, whether it's a job, a relationship, friends, etc. If you want friends and relationships then you need to be proactive and go out and meet people. Trust me, I know. I have no close friends within about 1,000 miles of me nor am I in a relationship. But that's mostly fault. I have the option of going out and meeting people, I just choose not too usually.

One thing I would recommend is to see a psychologist. I saw one for a little over a year for therapy involving ADHD and a language disorder, but she also helped me recognize that I am the one in control of my life and I have the power to change it. She gave me exercises to do and taught me coping skills to help deal with a variety of stressful situations in a healthy way.
Thank you for the realistic insight.

jedishrfu said:
There is an old Chinese story that helps me get through these kinds of situations:

http://theunboundedspirit.com/short-story-the-taoist-farmer/

I guess you can say that life is neither fair nor unfair, it just is and we need to learn how to adapt to its twists and turns like we do the weather.
I think a matter of it being just or unjust is perception. Certain people have expectations and when things do not go as planned, they state it is based on bad luck, timing and etc...

Danielle Sarah said:

To the OP:

I hope I don't sound especially harsh in this post, but all of the problems you've listed above (except for your grandmother giving you grief) are all solvable problems.

1. You've never been in a relationship/have no friends -- why not go out there and meet people? In college/university, there are numerous clubs and social activities available. Why not make use of them? Once you meet more people and make new friends, then the odds/probability of meeting someone who you can be in a relationship with will increase. (Of course, some people may advise you to use Tinder, but I would advise against that)

2. Failed your first class last semester: You claimed this was due to extensive work. Perhaps you should revisit how you study, or try and see how to adjust your work schedule. Most colleges/universities should have academic counselling services that can give you some good advice on how to improve study habits. These are the kinds of things you should explore. And from your earlier post, you have a 3.5 GPA in IT and a 3.72 GPA in psychology, which are all fairly impressive, so this one class shouldn't weigh you down too much.

3. Your grandmother giving you grief when things don't go her way: OK, as I've said earlier, there may not be a whole lot you can do about that, but seriously, why should this matter to you? Do you live with your grandmother? Are you her primary caregiver? If the answer is no to either these questions, she can think or say whatever she wants -- it has nothing to do with you!

At the end of the day, what you get out of life depends more on your own personal attitudes and how you address the challenges, opportunities or problems that come your way. At least that's my 2 cents worth on this.

Likes gracy
StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

I hope I don't sound especially harsh in this post, but all of the problems you've listed above (except for your grandmother giving you grief) are all solvable problems.

1. You've never been in a relationship/have no friends -- why not go out there and meet people? In college/university, there are numerous clubs and social activities available. Why not make use of them? Once you meet more people and make new friends, then the odds/probability of meeting someone who you can be in a relationship with will increase. (Of course, some people may advise you to use Tinder, but I would advise against that)

2. Failed your first class last semester: You claimed this was due to extensive work. Perhaps you should revisit how you study, or try and see how to adjust your work schedule. Most colleges/universities should have academic counselling services that can give you some good advice on how to improve study habits. These are the kinds of things you should explore. And from your earlier post, you have a 3.5 GPA in IT and a 3.72 GPA in psychology, which are all fairly impressive, so this one class shouldn't weigh you down too much.

3. Your grandmother giving you grief when things don't go her way: OK, as I've said earlier, there may not be a whole lot you can do about that, but seriously, why should this matter to you? Do you live with your grandmother? Are you her primary caregiver? If the answer is no to either these questions, she can think or say whatever she wants -- it has nothing to do with you!

At the end of the day, what you get out of life depends more on your own personal attitudes and how you address the challenges, opportunities or problems that come your way. At least that's my 2 cents worth on this.
2) This semester, I will enroll in the course I failed along with one I previously withdrew out of, so I will take the initiative to seek a paid tutor because the ones at my university tend to be distracted because there are numerous students stuck at various points in the curriculum.
3) Yes, I do live with her. She is just extremely judgmental and I can feel her analyzing every move I make, she takes everything personally and it is aggravating. I am 21 and need personal space, something she does not understand. I do not want to sound like a miserable whiner, I just need to broaden my horizons in order to get out of this pessimistic funk.

Danielle Sarah said:
2) This semester, I will enroll in the course I failed along with one I previously withdrew out of, so I will take the initiative to seek a paid tutor because the ones at my university tend to be distracted because there are numerous students stuck at various points in the curriculum.
3) Yes, I do live with her. She is just extremely judgmental and I can feel her analyzing every move I make, she takes everything personally and it is aggravating. I am 21 and need personal space, something she does not understand. I do not want to sound like a miserable whiner, I just need to broaden my horizons in order to get out of this pessimistic funk.

Since you are 21, need personal space, and has problems getting along with your grandmother, why not move out and find your own place? I think doing so can only help in broadening your horizons.

Danielle Sarah said:
3) Yes, I do live with her. She is just extremely judgmental and I can feel her analyzing every move I make, she takes everything personally and it is aggravating. I am 21 and need personal space, something she does not understand.
Her house -- her rules. If you are not in a position to live on your own, you need to suck it up and accept that if she is providing a roof over your head, she is entitled to some say about how you live your life.

StatGuy2000 said:
Since you are 21, need personal space, and has problems getting along with your grandmother, why not move out and find your own place? I think doing so can only help in broadening your horizons.
Yeah I am about to be laid off from my present job soon and am in the process of looking for new jobs, preferably something with more hours and pay. So I will see what I can do from there. I cannot take her being so judgmental towards me. I am too good of a person for that lol. I am somewhat miserable in this environment.

Mark44 said:
Her house -- her rules. If you are not in a position to live on your own, you need to suck it up and accept that if she is providing a roof over your head, she is entitled to some say about how you live your life.
Didn't I just say that I am about to be laid off from my present job soon and am in the process of looking for new jobs? So I will see what I can do from there. I cannot take her being so judgmental towards me. It is not as if I am sitting on my throne waiting for it to happen.

Danielle Sarah said:
Yeah I am about to be laid off from my present job soon and am in the process of looking for new jobs, preferably something with more hours and pay. So I will see what I can do from there. I cannot take her being so judgmental towards me. I am too good of a person for that lol. I am somewhat miserable in this environment.

While it no doubt sucks to be laid off from your present job, the silver lining is that this could serve as an impetus to find new opportunities which could allow you to find a place on your own and give you the personal space you crave. I wish you all the best!

StatGuy2000 said:
While it no doubt sucks to be laid off from your present job, the silver lining is that this could serve as an impetus to find new opportunities which could allow you to find a place on your own and give you the personal space you crave. I wish you all the best!
Thank you. I may be getting somewhere but who knows. I am so worried it is unbelieveable. Is this the way life works for some?

Just and observation...

Danielle Sarah said:
Failed my first class last semester due to extensive work.

Danielle Sarah said:
Yeah I am about to be laid off from my present job soon and am in the process of looking for new jobs, preferably something with more hours and pay.

This sounds like a series of problems arising from conflicting priorities. It might help to sort out the priorities first and then go looking for solutions.

From my experience a lot of people your age feel exactly like you. As has been said, there is a prevalent tendency to overstate the intimacy/happiness and number of relationships(friends and partners) - most people don't want to appear to be a loner.
If you can't afford your own place, maybe trying to find a shared appartment/house in local ads would be possible. This also gives you instant socializing as a bonus.
Regarding your grandmother, I don't agree that she has any say in what you do with your life, even though it is generous of her to provide a roof over your head and whatever else. You should have a serious discussion about your feelings regarding her behavior. If that doesn't work, and it really is as much an annoyance as you make it out to be, your first priority should probably be to get out of a toxic environment. Otherwise that is going to distract you from the rest of your life all the time.

Likes gracy
hmaier said:
From my experience a lot of people your age feel exactly like you. As has been said, there is a prevalent tendency to overstate the intimacy/happiness and number of relationships(friends and partners) - most people don't want to appear to be a loner.
If you can't afford your own place, maybe trying to find a shared appartment/house in local ads would be possible. This also gives you instant socializing as a bonus.
Regarding your grandmother, I don't agree that she has any say in what you do with your life, even though it is generous of her to provide a roof over your head and whatever else. You should have a serious discussion about your feelings regarding her behavior. If that doesn't work, and it really is as much an annoyance as you make it out to be, your first priority should probably be to get out of a toxic environment. Otherwise that is going to distract you from the rest of your life all the time.
So you are implying that we overestimate the amount of happiness that can come from being in a romantic relationship? I agree, she believes that since she provides a roof over my head and all, that I am able to take her "constructive criticism". Luckily, my mother will be moving to FL this summer and from there, she will be purchasing a three bedroom house so I can live with her. I am so tired of having to live up to the expectations of an individual that has nothing to show for her superior mentality. It grinds my gears. She is extremely immature and has no right to overtake my esteem due to how unhappy she may be. My father pretty much reinstated what you just said.

Danielle Sarah said:
So you are implying that we overestimate the amount of happiness that can come from being in a romantic relationship?
exactly. Very often relationships are messy in so many ways and do not provide the happiness, security and unconditional love one should get out of it. While that may not what everybody is looking for in a relationship, why would you settle for anything but the best?

Danielle Sarah said:
my mother will be moving to FL this summer and from there, she will be purchasing a three bedroom house so I can live with her.
That sounds promising :) So a move may not be necessary after all.
Danielle Sarah said:
has no right to overtake my esteem due to how unhappy she may be
I agree, you are the queen of your kingdom - i.e. you are responsible for deciding what you want to do and how you feel. If other people help you along the way that is much appreciated but does not entitle them to anything (just like you are not entitled to their help).

Likes Danielle Sarah
hmaier said:
exactly. Very often relationships are messy in so many ways and do not provide the happiness, security and unconditional love one should get out of it. While that may not what everybody is looking for in a relationship, why would you settle for anything but the best?That sounds promising :) So a move may not be necessary after all.

I agree, you are the queen of your kingdom - i.e. you are responsible for deciding what you want to do and how you feel. If other people help you along the way that is much appreciated but does not entitle them to anything (just like you are not entitled to their help).
You are so right along with my father! If I was still in h.s. that would be a different story but clearly I am not. Thank you for reiterating my conscience, allowing me to take forth on a journey that revolves around my happiness and the ones I choose to maintain a relationship with. You rock :)

I will inform my niece next time I see her, that I do in fact rock ;)
Also, my pleasure and good luck with whatever life throws your way.

Likes gracy
And we have a happy ending.

Likes Borg and gracy

1. Are there really people who don't have to work for anything in life?

The concept of not having to work for anything in life can be subjective and open to interpretation. Some may argue that everyone has to work in some form or another, whether it be for financial stability, personal fulfillment, or contributing to society. However, there may be individuals who have inherited wealth or have found alternative means of sustaining themselves without traditional employment. Ultimately, the answer to this question depends on one's definition of "work."

2. How do people who don't have to work for anything in life support themselves?

As mentioned before, there can be various ways in which individuals who don't have to work for anything in life support themselves. It could be through inherited wealth, investments, or passive income from businesses or properties. Some may also have a support system or rely on government aid. The means of support can vary greatly among individuals.

3. Are these people happier than those who have to work for a living?

Happiness is a subjective experience and cannot be determined solely based on one's employment status. While not having to work for anything in life may seem appealing to some, it does not necessarily guarantee happiness. On the other hand, individuals who work for a living may find fulfillment and purpose in their jobs, leading to a sense of happiness. It ultimately depends on the individual and their personal values and goals.

4. Is it fair that some people don't have to work for anything in life?

The concept of fairness is a complex and often debated topic. It can be argued that everyone should have the opportunity to work and contribute to society, while others may believe that individuals should be able to live their lives as they choose without judgment. Whether it is fair or not ultimately depends on one's personal beliefs and values.

5. Can someone who doesn't have to work for anything in life still have a sense of purpose or fulfillment?

Having a sense of purpose and fulfillment in life can come from various sources, not just traditional employment. Some individuals may find purpose and fulfillment in their hobbies, relationships, or volunteering. Not having to work for anything in life does not necessarily mean that one cannot have a sense of purpose or fulfillment.