Are they ever going to open more reactor colleges?

• Schools
  • Thread starter php111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactor
In summary, there are currently limited options for studying nuclear engineering in the Northeastern United States, with only one college in Pennsylvania offering a program and one in upstate New York potentially closing down their reactor. The University of Florida in Gainesville also has a highly regarded program, but owning a reactor is not necessary for a successful program. The market for nuclear engineers is smaller compared to other engineering fields, with only a handful of schools in Pennsylvania offering a degree in the field. This may be due to a decline in interest caused by misinformation and a lack of support from the oil industry.
php111
Hey,

The question is. Are they ever going to open more Nuclear Engineering reactor colleges? I know in the WHOLE state of PA, there are "1" college and it's Penn State main campus. 0 are in NJ. 1 in NY but I think not sure might close out the reactor in NY. The college is Cornell in upstate. So after that, they are really none close by. Unless we travel south or south west. Not sure if they are any south. There is a college in Texas. I think it's called A&M, never been to Texas.

Physics news on Phys.org
UF has a reactor. I used to walk past it every day. I believe their nuclear engineering program is fairly highly regarded as well.

jhicks said:
UF has a reactor. I used to walk past it every day. I believe their nuclear engineering program is fairly highly regarded as well.

Hey jhicks,

What does UF stand for and what state is it in?

"Reactor college" sounds a little like "barber college" or "clown college".

It's not necessary for a university to have a reactor on site to have a healthy nuclear engineering program. A university can have a healthy aeronautical engineering program without owning its own fleet of airplanes, right? There are of course advantages to having one, but it's not strictly necessary.

There are about 30 university owned reactors. Since there are about 50 states (some say 57), it shouldn't be surprising that most states have one or zero.

Having to travel some distance to get a proper education is really nothing new.

Then why did I only found one college in PA for Nuclear Engineering and it's Penn State? What colleges in PA offers Nuclear Engineering besides Penn State?

Vanadium 50 said:
"Reactor college" sounds a little like "barber college" or "clown college".

It's not necessary for a university to have a reactor on site to have a healthy nuclear engineering program. A university can have a healthy aeronautical engineering program without owning its own fleet of airplanes, right? There are of course advantages to having one, but it's not strictly necessary.

There are about 30 university owned reactors. Since there are about 50 states (some say 57), it shouldn't be surprising that most states have one or zero.

Having to travel some distance to get a proper education is really nothing new.

There is a difference between a school that offers a nuclear engineering degree and one with a reactor. University of Illinois has a degree program, but no reactor (any more). Reed College has a reactor, but no engineering degree program.

The market for nuclear engineers is much, much smaller than that for EE's. How many schools in Pennsylvania offer a BSEE? Penn, Penn State, Carnegie-Mellon, Layfette, Drexel and maybe some other. Perhaps eight? Maybe ten? Out of maybe 150 or 200 colleges and universities?

Penn State is the only college in PA with a nuclear engineering program

I think misinformed eco activists and such have pushed the field of nuclear physics into a decline.

I usually blame the entrenched oil oligarchy.

1. What are reactor colleges?

Reactor colleges are higher education institutions that specialize in nuclear science and technology, specifically in the study and operation of nuclear reactors.

2. Are there currently any reactor colleges?

Yes, there are currently several reactor colleges around the world, including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the University of Tokyo. However, the number of reactor colleges is limited compared to other fields of study.

3. Why are there not more reactor colleges?

There are a few reasons for the limited number of reactor colleges. Some of the main reasons include the high cost of building and maintaining nuclear reactors, the potential safety risks involved, and the specialized and technical nature of the field which requires highly trained and qualified instructors.

4. Are there plans to open more reactor colleges in the future?

While there are currently no concrete plans to open more reactor colleges, there is a growing demand for professionals in the field of nuclear science and technology. This could potentially lead to the opening of more reactor colleges in the future to meet this demand.

5. How can I get involved in the field of nuclear science and technology without attending a reactor college?

There are other ways to get involved in the field of nuclear science and technology, such as pursuing a degree in a related field (such as engineering or physics) and then gaining experience through internships or entry-level positions at nuclear power plants or research facilities. Additionally, some reactor colleges offer online courses or certificate programs that can provide a foundation in the field.