Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are we Carbon based life, proton-proton based life, string based life, or

1. Nov 17, 2003 #1
    Are we Carbon based life, proton-proton based life, space-time based life, string based life, or what?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2003 #2
    Aren't we carbon based life forms? I guess you could say our minds somehow incorporate space-time into thinking process because how else could we have such a unique understanding of how it works. There is also the electricity that runs through our bodies that could suggest a deeper connection between us and the universe other than just some complex configuration of atoms,who knows. I'm not too sure what you exactly mean by that question.
  4. Nov 17, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Everything is spacetime based. All matter is particle (maybe string) based. But life is specifically based on carbon chemistry.
  5. Nov 18, 2003 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

I would say that we are carbon based lifeforms, because that is the norm i suppose. What if there was another type of life-form that wasnt carbon-based (i dunno, for example, aliens that were silicon based), if they were classed as proton-proton based or string based then u are classifying just about everything known into one super-group. Also its easier to understand being carbon based then part of quantum theory or string theory ...well thats what i think anyway!
  6. Nov 18, 2003 #5
    With the discovery of the Fullerene, do we need to qualify what we mean when we say "carbon" based life? Perhaps it may be Non-Buckey-carbon based life.
  7. Nov 18, 2003 #6
    Just because fullerene is made of carbon doesn't mean carbon is fullerene. We never said non-diamond-carbon-based life, or non-pencil-lead-carbon based life.
  8. Nov 18, 2003 #7
    So we are instead based upon graphite and/or diamond chemistry, then? Those are the only other known allotropes of carbon, last I checked. This of course sounds totally silly to me, but anyway.

You could probably make a significantly better case for us being water-based life, given that the main component in most organisms is water.

ETA: Must have started my reply after CSF replied. Blargh.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  9. Nov 18, 2003 #8
    but water is a given, its what water is in combination with that renders the earth life trademark.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?