Are You A Misfit? Share Your Story and Thoughts on Education

• Thread starter Aufbauwerk 2045
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around being a misfit in traditional education systems and the desire for alternative forms of learning. The speakers share their personal experiences and discuss potential solutions, such as computer-based learning and the example of Kumon. They also touch on the topic of software patents and the challenges faced by non-conformists in school and the workplace.
Aufbauwerk 2045
This is my last post for a while, although I will read answers. I am getting back to my main project.

I am a misfit. I do not typically fit well into structures created by others. This applies to education as much as anything. This became clear when I was in kindergarten, and for reasons I can't remember, I was pulled out.

I am curious about other misfits, particularly in those who have attempted to do well in school or university, but just could not take it after a while. Did you start your own business? Are you now laughing all the way to the bank? Are you happy to be different from the norm? Or do you wish you were not a misfit?

Looking back, I'm amazed I even made it through high school, much less graduate school. It was not easy, being a misfit. It's not that I did not want to be like other kids. But even among other nerd types, I was still a misfit.

My main issue here, concerning education, is that I don't believe in the current system at all. I think we should move to a more computer-based and self-paced form of instruction, with human teachers stepping into help when necessary. Or even without computers, the material could be self-paced.

Of course there would be many exceptions. Sometimes learning must be done in a group, and social contact with others is vital. But sitting in a lecture class is something I think should have been obsolete years ago. It is so inefficient. In general, so much time is wasted in the normal education process. I can't even watch video lectures any more. I keep thinking, come on already, I don't have all day. Just give me the book, please, and I can read at my own pace.

A couple of examples of alternatives come to mind.

(1) Kumon. I really approve 100% of the insistence on perfection, as well as some other aspects of the program. What do you think? Any experience with Kumon?

(2) The old Tutor learning system on the Plato computers. I've seen some videos about this. I think they had some good ideas.

One of my personal goals has been to get involved in computer learning. But I decided never to produce any software for the public, as long as there are software patents. I was delighted to learn recently that software patent trolls can no longer drag you into court in East Texas, no matter where you have your business in the USA. So now I'm considering getting into this line.

But even if I do not go into this, I am happy about the apparent demise of the bad old days of patent trolls. Or have I missed something on that point?

I do not want children to spend all day in front of a computer screen. On the contrary. That is one reason I like Kumon. But I think we need much more than Kumon.

I would love to read your own misfit stories. How do you cope, fellow misfit, particularly in school or on the job? In particular, if you have trouble in school, what would you like to see changed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't believe this doesn't have a reply by now.

Story of my life. I'm sure many others of us here, and unless we're with others who enjoy studying the universe, we get blank stares fairly often I'm pretty sure.

If there was an odd way to do life, that was me and not by choice. Many times to the bane of my existence.
I'm left handed, dislexic, slightly alternating esotropia when I'm tired (people tell me it's cute,I think it's ridiculous.) I was a floater (someone who was not affiliated with a clique) in HS. Most of the popular kids were way over rated imo, most where very insecure but then again that's teen years. (If being a nerd is unique being a woman who loves STEM, we're practically unicorns (if you're a woman who loves science let's be friends. :) ) also I don't have children yet besides the fact that I LOVE children and you practically have to pry kids off me, they cling to me like magnets. Anyhoo TMI.

I wish there was a better way to implement schooling. The numbers don't lie and we should try doing better. Finland was an incredible education system. My schooling in Texas was a nightmare, they even made a young first year algebra teacher quit after his first year, poor guy even left the state. I still wonder if he ever took back teaching.

Good luck with your endeavors may everything work out for the best. :)

Last edited:
Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Craftek_Ana said:
I can't believe this doesn't have a reply by now.

Story of my life. I'm sure many others of us here, and unless we're with others who enjoy studying the universe, we get blank stares fairly often I'm pretty sure.

If there was an odd way to do life, that was me and not by choice. Many times to the bane of my existence.
I'm left handed, dislexic, slightly alternating esotropia when I'm tired (people tell me it's cute,I think it's ridiculous.) I was a floater (someone who was not affiliated with a clique) in HS. Most of the popular kids were way over rated imo, most where very insecure but then again that's teen years. (If being a nerd is unique being a woman who loves STEM, we're practically unicorns (if you're a woman who loves science let's be friends. :) ) also I don't have children yet besides the fact that I LOVE children and you practically have to pry kids off me, they cling to me like magnets. Anyhoo TMI.

I wish there was a better way to implement schooling. The numbers don't lie and we should try doing better. Finland was an incredible education system. My schooling in Texas was a nightmare, they even made a young first year algebra teacher quit after his first year, poor guy even left the state. I still wonder if he ever took back teaching.

Good luck with your endeavors may everything work out for the best. :)

For anyone wondering what alternating esotropia is i'll leave this here.

Last edited:
Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Craftek_Ana said:
I can't believe this doesn't have a reply by now. ...
I just caught up, and I'm surprised as well. I would think there would be lots of self-admitted 'misfits' among STEM types.

Heck, I'm even a misfit here, my background is really more tech than engineer (though my title went from Tech to Engineer and eventually Senior and Staff Engineer at an engineering MegaCorp) and definitely not a scientist of any credentials. But that's a large part of why I signed up. I recall someone saying that if you are the smartest person in the room, you aren't learning anything. I worked with some really smart people (and others - we will leave it at that!), and learned a lot from them but after retiring I didn't always have that opportunity, or at least not people who were smart in ways I wanted to excel at.

This place is full of really smart people, it's exciting for me. I read threads where I don't understand even 1% of it, but it still fascinates me to listen in on the conversations. I might even pick up a tidbit by osmosis.
Craftek_Ana said:
... also I don't have children yet besides the fact that I LOVE children and you practically have to pry kids off me, they cling to me like magnets. Anyhoo TMI. ...

My daughter excels at math, majored in it while getting her teaching credentials, so teaches math now. She loves kids, they love her, and she recently became a mother (making me an old Grand-Dad). So I'm sure things will work out for you in due time.

Getting back to misfits - oh yes, I was a misfit in so many ways. But as I grew older, I learned to appreciate that I looked at the world a little differently than many others, and could use that to my advantage. And you get more confident with age. I can recall coming up with solutions at work that no one else considered, and the people I knew that were really, really smart sort of crinkled their face up, not understanding what seemed almost obvious to my slow mind. And other times, I felt like they were just talking circles around me, and I couldn't keep up.

It would be a boring world if we all were the same. We need 'misfits'.

Likes gibberingmouther, Aufbauwerk 2045 and Craftek_Ana
Today at 11:02 AM#1
https://www.physicsforums.com/members/aufbauwerk-2045.608525/
said:
This is my last post for a while, although I will read answers. I am getting back to my main project.

I am a misfit. I do not typically fit well into structures created by others. This applies to education as much as anything. This became clear when I was in kindergarten, and for reasons I can't remember, I was pulled out.

I am curious about other misfits, particularly in those who have attempted to do well in school or university, but just could not take it after a while. Did you start your own business? Are you now laughing all the way to the bank? Are you happy to be different from the norm? Or do you wish you were not a misfit?

Misfit is too often another way of being "A different kind of fit". This becomes, depending on your opportunities, a matter of understanding yourself and making more satisfying and productive choices.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and NTL2009
I'm most definitely a misfit, I seem to go in every direction and act a fool lol.

Living between people while having a conflict of interest with them could make one feel like a misfit. But exploring other places and meeting other people, one could discover that maybe one is not that much of a misfit.

Seems I am not where I want to be that turns me into a misfit, the people I find to be compatible with are doctors or are found in the internet. Then again I did not get to go to a real school.

I look weird, as you can see, and I am schizophrenic, so you'd think I'd be a misfit. But I get along with a wide variety of people. I guess I'm sort of intellectual, so sometimes I'll meet older people who talk about nothing that interests me (at least with younger people I can talk about video games).

I am not religious but I believe in God etc. so I get along on that aspect with even conservatives and a lot of "everyday" people. Like a lot of people, I love dogs. I love my dead cat even more - I hope he is with God now.

My sister was measured to have a fairly high IQ as a child (genius level) and she was WEIRD. She was paranoid and into a lot of counter culture things. She had friends in her gifted program and among some other high functioning students. I was a couple points shorter and I was always kind of a diplomat when it came to relating to people and I related to people more easily than she did. I still do relate to people very well - some people make a judgment based on how I look before they actually get to hear me talk. That's part of the reason I got fired from my last job actually. A customer tried to bully me and I cussed him out. I wasn't going to attack him because he was like a foot taller than me ... Iol.

1. What is the purpose of sharing our stories and thoughts on education as a misfit?

The purpose of sharing our stories and thoughts on education as a misfit is to provide a platform for individuals who may feel like they don't fit into the traditional education system. By sharing our experiences and perspectives, we can create a sense of community and support for those who may feel like they don't belong.

2. How can sharing our stories and thoughts on education as a misfit benefit others?

Sharing our stories and thoughts on education as a misfit can benefit others by providing different perspectives and insights into the education system. It can also help individuals who may feel like they don't fit in to realize that they are not alone and that there are others who have gone through similar experiences.

3. What can we learn from sharing our stories and thoughts on education as a misfit?

We can learn that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to education and that everyone's journey is unique. By sharing our stories, we can also learn from each other's experiences and gain a better understanding of the challenges and barriers that misfits may face in the education system.

4. How can sharing our stories and thoughts on education as a misfit bring about change in the education system?

By sharing our stories and thoughts on education as a misfit, we can raise awareness about the need for a more inclusive and diverse education system. This can lead to discussions and actions that can bring about positive changes, such as creating more support systems for misfits and implementing more inclusive teaching methods.

5. Is it important for everyone to share their stories and thoughts on education as a misfit?

While it is not necessary for everyone to share their stories, it can be beneficial for both the individual and the community. By sharing our stories, we can not only gain a sense of catharsis and empowerment, but also inspire and support others who may be going through similar experiences. It can also contribute to creating a more inclusive and understanding society.