Are You on the Right Track with Separation of Variables for PDEs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Kidphysics
Messages
164
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is the first problem of the two.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Using separation of variables, I end up with

T'(t)= -λKT(t) and X''(x)+(β/K)X'(x)/X(x)= -λ. At first I chose the negative lambda because I saw that U(0,t) and U(L,t) needed to oscillate and I was hoping to get a sin function. Now the characteristic equation for X is something like r^2 + (β/K)r +λ=0 and I am not sure if I am on the right track in solving for the function X(x).
 
Attachments
  • 1.png
    1.png
    6 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right path, but it helps to use 2 instead of λ.
 
thanks. I guess what I should have said is that I am stuck at this point.
 
Solve the characteristic equation for r. The solution has the form C1Exp(rx)+C2Exp(-rx).
This might become D1sin(r'x)+D2cos(r'x) depending on the sizes of β, k, and λ.
Edit:If r was imaginary, r' is a new constant that is real.