Are your parents as technologically clueless as mine?

• Thread starter FalconOne
  • Start date
In summary: My mom uses a cassette desk to record songs she plays on youtube, the equivalent of illegally downloading them :smile:
FalconOne
I love being home for break. I get to see so many comical things that my parents try to do when it involves technology, even though it's pretty painful to watch (and sometimes it's impossible to be able to upload documents because of them).

My mom tried hooking up our Xbox to our dial up internet and got mad that Call of Duty doesn't load when my brother tries to play it online. She also thought it would only take about 20 minutes to upload a 20 minute video to YouTube on 28.8K dial up. Instead, it took over 2 days. She also didn't understand that setting a YouTube video to private means that people can't see it. My dad tried taking a lodged piece of metal out of the electrical socket with metal pliers. Dad calls highlighting text "making it blue".

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait until you have kids.

I have you beat. My mom sent me an email and put the entire message in the subject line. Your mom is Mr. Wizard compared to mine.

Mark Twain:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

People still have dial up internet?

I have you beat. My mom sent me an email and put the entire message in the subject line. Your mom is Mr. Wizard compared to mine.

That is fantastic. I wonder what she thought about the big white box underneath the subject line.

People still have dial up internet?

Of course. I live in rural America. Our Walmart closes at 9 PM, also. Verizon Wireless doesn't even service my county.

FalconOne said:
Of course. I live in rural America. Our Walmart closes at 9 PM, also. Verizon Wireless doesn't even service my county.

Geez, I lived in rural Canada, Saskatchewan to be specific; 2.5 hours from any big city. We were still able to get high speed about 5 years back.

There is an area about 60 miles west of where I live that does not have a zip code. It's mostly low mountains (hills as far as I'm concerned) and valleys. Parts of it have no electricity.

My wife wanted a Kindle Fire because a couple of her friends have them. I might be technologically clueless, because it took me about an hour to get that POS to communicate with my wireless router. The Kindle interface is as about as un-intuitive as I could have imagined. Amazon kept prompting me to set up "one touch" purchases, which is pretty stupid, because if my wife wanted to get more information about a film and clicked on it, she would already have bought it on my credit card. Not good.

No, no, the Kindle Fire is BAD. I agree. You're good. ;-)

leroyjenkens said:

LOL@ both handle and post.

My mom is absolutely terrified of her PC, but she's a boss with the iPad. I showed her some C++ code once and she tried to punch me in the face.

28.8k! It probably takes you 5 minutes just to load this page!

I don't have any overly technologically-backwards relatives. Well, I do have an uncle who says "download" for any sort of data transfer. You know, just download that to a CD...

When I used to paint in MS Paintbrush my mother would complain that I will use up total amount of colors available in the color slots of the window.

My boyfriend's dad rewinds DVDs to the start position :biggrin:

His mom uses a cassette desk to record songs she plays on youtube, the equivalent of illegally downloading them :smile:

Monique said:
The local video store had jackets on their VCR tapes that said "Be kind. Please rewind." Years after getting DVDs in their inventory, they were still using the same jackets.

Kholdstare said:
When I used to paint in MS Paintbrush my mother would complain that I will use up total amount of colors available in the color slots of the window.

"How do you log a hard drive?"

No, it wasn't my Mom nor Dad.

Monique said:
His mom uses a cassette desk to record songs she plays on youtube, the equivalent of illegally downloading them :smile:

LOL That's a good one.

Both my parents majored in computer science.

My mom did not understand many functions of modern appliances. I had to coach her for those and she caught up quickly. In return she taught me some basics of cooking. My dad is good with home electrical repairs. But mobilephone baffles both to no end.

Monique said:

Unfortunately, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NK7E7Y/?tag=pfamazon01-20 doesn't sell them anymore.

311cZyUOdkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My mum rang me up from work for her with her accounting software (Basically she couldn't find where it was saving too)

So she wanted to find a set of reports to check them against the paper copies.

So I google to find out where it saves to automatically and tell "Click My Computer" etc until she got to the reports bit.

Then I said "Open the report10something file" and she replies "Its in the filing cabinet, I'll go get it"

Facepalm ensued

Does your computer come with a cup holder too?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Does your computer come with a cup holder too?

I push a button and a tray comes out with a hole in it. Is it that? or should I call the shop?

George Jones said:
Mark Twain:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

I love Mark Twain quotes, but I think that's talking about something other than the topic of this thread.

The local JC has started a class to help older people learn how to uses their new electronic devices. According to the local news the first class was loaded with people who had new cameras.

Electronic devices are changing at at an accelerated pace considering it was 9 years between Pong and Frogger.

Whut the heck is Pong and Frogger.

1. How can I help my parents become more technologically savvy?

One way to help your parents become more technologically savvy is to offer to teach them how to use specific devices or software. You can also encourage them to take classes or workshops specifically geared towards seniors or beginners. Additionally, you can set up technology tutorials for them to follow at their own pace.

2. What are some common challenges that parents face with technology?

Some common challenges that parents may face with technology include difficulty understanding new terminology, trouble navigating complex menus and settings, and struggling to keep up with frequent updates and changes in technology.

3. How can I communicate with my parents more effectively about technology?

It can be helpful to use simple and relatable language when discussing technology with your parents. Avoid using technical jargon and try to relate technology to tasks or activities they are familiar with. It can also be beneficial to be patient and understanding when explaining new concepts or processes.

4. How can I convince my parents to upgrade their outdated technology?

One approach to convincing your parents to upgrade their outdated technology is to explain the benefits of newer devices, such as improved security, increased speed, and access to new features. You can also offer to help them research and compare different options to find the best fit for their needs and budget.

5. How can I balance my parents' desire for privacy and my concern for their safety with technology?

It can be challenging to balance your parents' desire for privacy and your concern for their safety with technology. One approach is to have an open and honest conversation with your parents about the potential risks and how certain privacy settings or security measures can help protect them. It can also be helpful to set boundaries and establish clear guidelines for using technology in a safe and responsible manner.