How to Find the Area Bounded by a Curve Using Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area bound by a curve and the x-axis, with specific limits of x = -1 and x = 2. The correct answer is 157/12. The person asking for help had an incorrect integral set up for the interval [1, 2], but the mistake was corrected. The conversation also mentions the use of a homework template to guide the problem-solving process.
SherlockOhms
Find the area bound by the curve y = x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x + 6, the x-axis and the lines x = -1 and x = 2. The answer is 157/12.

The curve cuts the x-axis at x = -2, 1 and 3. I've shown my general idea on the attachment. I didn't end up with the correct answer so could somebody explain to me where I've gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1365170546.687284.jpg

DAPOS said:
Find the area bound by the curve y = x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x + 6, the x-axis and the lines x = -1 and x = 2. The answer is 157/12.

The curve cuts the x-axis at x = -2, 1 and 3. I've shown my general idea on the attachment. I didn't end up with the correct answer so could somebody explain to me where I've gone wrong?
Your integral for the interval [1, 2] is not set up correctly. It should look like this:
$$\int_1^2 (0 - y)dx $$
Do you see why?

BTW, do not discard the three parts of the homework template. They are there for a reason.

Mark44 said:
Your integral for the interval [1, 2] is not set up correctly. It should look like this:
$$\int_1^2 (0 - y)dx $$
Do you see why?

BTW, do not discard the three parts of the homework template. They are there for a reason.

Thanks for that. The graph goes below the x-axis.
I sent that from my phone and the templates don't actually show for you to use.
Thanks again.

1. What is the area bounded by a curve?

The area bounded by a curve is the region between the curve and the x-axis on a graph. It can be thought of as the space that is enclosed by the curve.

2. How do you calculate the area bounded by a curve?

The area bounded by a curve can be calculated using integral calculus. The process involves finding the definite integral of the function that represents the curve, within the limits of the x-values that form the boundaries of the region.

3. Can the area bounded by a curve be negative?

No, the area bounded by a curve cannot be negative. It represents a physical space and cannot have a negative value. If the integral yields a negative result, it means that the boundaries were incorrectly chosen or that the curve crosses the x-axis.

4. What is the significance of finding the area bounded by a curve?

The area bounded by a curve has several applications in different fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the cost of production, or the volume of an irregularly shaped object.

5. Is it possible to find the area bounded by a curve without using calculus?

It is not possible to find the exact area bounded by a curve without using calculus. However, for simple curves, such as straight lines or basic geometric shapes, there are formulas that can be used to calculate the area without using calculus.